Nov 5, 2008

The Idea of America


From far away, this is how it looks: There is a country out there where tens of millions of white Christians, voting freely, select as their leader a black man of modest origin, the son of a Muslim. There is a place on Earth — call it America — where such a thing happens.

~from Ethan Bronner's "In Ideal Renewed"

3 comments:

Elizabeth Kiker said...

It was so good to speak to you last night --- and even better to celebrate with you from afar this morning. What a day, what a man, what a country.

Becca said...

If I were looking at the word "America" as an emotion, it brings to my own mind a surge of confidence, a sense of freedom, and, I hope, a spirit of love for mankind.

Though I did not vote for Obama, I hope, and feel assured, that this presidency will keep America in that ideal.

Courtney said...

Somehow the future seems brighter now - a man of vision, morality, judgment and honor will lead the country back towards its potential because we had gotten VERY off track. What a good reminder that it's WE THE PEOPLE, not ME THE PRESIDENT. We have a voice in our great land and I have felt that for the last 8 years that voice was muted by those who did not listen to the people by whom they were elected and for whom they serve. I don't think anyone Republican or Democrat believes that one person (especially when our system has 3 Branches and AMEN to that) will have all the answers but as one who thoughtfully and prayerfully voted for Barack Obama, I look forward to him representing me and my country, not just himself.