Nov 16, 2008

What didn't come through

In my dependable story, the underlying message that I thought was implied (but wasn't ... really), was this: that girl irked me, big time!

When I commented on her 'zen understanding' or whatever I said, I meant it somewhat ironically, since she thought she had the situation figured out, and I just had to laugh at the naivete of a 12 year old. I had to laugh so that I wouldn't cry, since we leaders spend bunches o'time trying to get it right for them.

It annoyed me that one postponement got me slapped with a "not dependable" label.

You've got to be kidding me?!?!?

So anyway ... I'm not upset. (Do I seem upset?) But nor am I saint. Ha ha!

7 comments:

Steph Thomas said...

That is really sad because, no way should you have that label. I am so amazed how much leaders do and you never appreciate it when you are a YW which is so sad. It reminds me of parenthood, you don't really appreciate your parents and what they did for you until you become a parent. I am sorry that happened to you!

Allison said...

Oh Erin! I was dying today! I was totally stunned by the comment! And then I also felt so bad to have the blame placed on you when I should have been there too. I felt so bad that you were the one to be (wrongly!) blamed. I think you handled it really well and I'm glad you defended yourself because you had no reason to be labeled as not dependable. It is good for the girls to know that although we spend a lot of time in YW, we also have families and needs outside of YW and often things happen that are outside of our control. Everyone that knows you, knows you to be a dependable person. You're a great YW president. The girls love you, and other girls will get to know you a little better :)

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elizabeth Kiker said...

I got that you were mad, but in an Erin-mad way, which means you look through their eyes and see their frustration and forgive them. It's what makes you so awesome. Me, not so much --- I was just being super-mad on your behalf. NOT DEPENDABLE, INDEED!

J and M said...

Perhaps what you think comes across as "mad", does not indeed come across this way. Hmm.

J and M said...

Delete my loser comment.

The Torres Family said...

I'm laughing because I think I know exactly who you were talking about and know that words like that are said often...ugh the beginnings of adolescence!! But not to bash her...I'm so glad you stood up and said what was right. It's so hard when you do something so wonderful for someone and they just don't see or understand the efforts put into it. It's so annoying! But others for sure see it and relate much. I'm all about surprising the leaders and taking them out for ice cream!!