Dec 5, 2008

Grading cave

I have so much to post about, especially Thanksgiving details, Christmas plans, thoughts at the end of the year, etc. etc.
[For a fun description of my Thanksgiving in Minnesota, see my sister's blog: theyodelingyoungquists.blogspot.com. Oh darn it - it's private. Hmm ... I'll have to 'borrow' everything she said!]

BUT ...

It's that Final Exam time of year.


I ended up not taking the research proposals I needed to grade up to Minnesota with me, partly to save my sanity, and mostly to save the $15 or $25 American Airlines would have charged for the bag. No thanks. I'm not paying for the privilege of grading. The money is supposed to flow the other way.

What that meant, however, is that this week became a grading cave.
This is what happens when I'm in a grading cave -
1) the dishes pile up
2) the beds go unmade (or the children make them & they look even worse)
3) I feel distracted much of the time & end up starting 5-6 library books while feeling guilty because I should be grading, but want to take a "quick" break
4) I get up really early (I chided myself one morning for sleeping in until 4:40 a.m. - huh?!?! That's not quite right.) and try to speed-grade before I have to rouse the darling kiddos
5) I find manila folders EVERYWHERE: under the rug, in the cat's paws, on the floor of the van, on the couch/table/desk/chair
6) my hair looks weird and I wear whatever doesn't need to be ironed

I really believe in the gospel principle of the Law of Opposition. Here's how it works with my grading cave. As much as I dread being "chained" to these essays, I rejoice when they are done. The degree of discomfort I experience while grading is countered by the degree of joy that comes when the last folder is returned.

Here's the other thing about grading - for me, it's the assigning of a score that causes problems. I am SO empathetic that I have a hard time being critical, of judging, of writing comments that might make students feel bad about themselves. At the same time, I am a total stickler for conciseness, precision, revision, et al. I can't stand sloppy, confusing, poorly proofed writing when my students should know better. So I have to counter my urge to point out EVERY error with my compassion for each of them as children of God.

That sounds high-minded. I don't mean it to be. I actually think it's not beneficial in my career, though I hope, hope, hope that my merciful nature = I shall also receive mercy.

It's my job to write comments & feedback that instructs and points out problem areas (and successful areas) that aren't unduly harsh. As I always say, or at least think, success breeds success, so I have to point some of the things students are doing well (which sometimes takes serious digging) AND I have to frame criticism impersonally, i.e. "This essay is a first draft - I cannot detect any revision - errors take away from the fine potential of the ideas" as opposed to "This sucks, big time!"

As a parent of a special needs child, I totally GET that not all students are as organized or 'with it' as we'd like. I'm supposed to help them get better. Easier said than done. I want to encourage - while being honest - instead of discouraging, which means they'll never want to write again.

I also want my grading to be fair & appropriate. You may laugh, but I usually pray before I grade so that I can be discerning.

The upside is that many students tell me they think I am fair and helpful. The downside is that it totally drains me.

But today is a great day. The manila folders have been returned. Final exams have started. Let the rejoicing & tidying begin! Tonight I am going to hang up my clothes, rent something from Blockbuster & enjoy those library books.

3 comments:

Elizabeth Kiker said...

If I had one iota of your creativity, dedication and energy, my job would be such a delight. Your job sounds like a (difficult, arduous, complex) delight. Thanks for sharing.

Becca said...

HUZZAH!

I love the grading cave description, number 6 especially made me laugh. You are so kind, Erin-go-braghless. :)

J and M said...

HOOOORAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

I had an experience which changed me in grading, although I slip back into wanting to be kind while this work is completely drivel and low quality.....

I had a hard working student, who thought well. Her writing was not bad, and not poorly done. She didn't "miss" things necessarily. It was always pleasant and enjoyable, while still C quality. I am not sure how that happened. It dismayed me. I gave her C's and she was happy and still pleasant. I realized that some persons are happy with C's.

Also, Jon will turn in something that is C quality if he knows he has enough points in the class, and not enough time to do A work.

I admire that! So, those might help you be less empathetic if you need to be at times. Some students are just fine with life as it is, C's and all.

(let's not discuss the poor writers and thinkers who are teacher blamers!)