Watching Annie literally LEAP out of bed when she saw what was on the ground, pull on clothes as quickly as possible, run to the front closet and grab coat/scarf/mismatched gloves + a slice of pizza for sustenance. She was in snowy heaven. It was as though I filmed our usual morning/get out of bed routine & played it in fast forward.
The worst part about the snow day?
Graham was as sick as he's been in a long time, feverish, coughing, tired (turns out he had bronchitis & ended up missing 3 days of school ... shoulda been four but I sent him on Tuesday, not knowing he would feel so terrible), and he didn't get to enjoy it. He didn't go out to play or make a snowball. He didn't eat multiple "snow snacks" like Annie.He couldn't truly appreciate the MAGIC of the night. He just swallowed his Tylenol meltaways and took hot baths.
Here are some pictures of the snow snacks - yummy!
We're lucky since we're going to Minnesota in a little over a week. He'll have snow fun then. But there was something truly special about our Texas snow. Thank you, climate change. This is one changing weather pattern I can appreciate. I will feel nervous when polar bears on shrinking ice floes come sailing down Texas Avenue, but until then, well, come what may - it was beautiful.
Watching Annie frolic - yes, frolic! - on the sidewalk, filling ziploc bags with snow, chasing a confused Knight, filling the umbrella with flakes ... it brought joy to my heart. It felt holy, a synthesis of weather and season that warmed us just as much as it chilled us.
5 comments:
Funny, we don't have much more snow than you do down there -- let's hope for some more, for cabin sledding.
So sorry Graham is feeling sick, we all had the stomach bug and YUCK, and I know Marni's family all had it but look at it this way, we'll ALL be healthy for Christmas!
Oh NOOOOOOOO. How can you be in this same huge state and have snow without us? I will party my socks of with Graham in MN in the snow (pray pray pray).
In the meantime, go find coldcalm a homeopathic that does wonders to the common cold. IT is a staple here!
m
We woke up to four inches today--and it's till coming down. Truman said, "Mom!! Can I please, please, PLEASE go out and shovel the sidewalk?"
Um, I guess so? HELLO.
I'm sorry Graham didn't get to enjoy it . . . it really is so magical. Several people have sworn by Vicks Vap-O-Rub applied to a bare foot, then covered with a sock to clear sinuses and make a cold magically disappear. I don't know how it works for bronchitis, though . . .
If it sets up a little bit, I am definitely joining them to make a snowman. Or family of snow men and women :).
I still remember my (one) Texas snow growing up. So magical because it is so rare!
Loved hearing your thoughts on this post and your take with so many things in life right now. I keep meaning to ask if you guys are leaving for Christmas or will be here. I guess you are leaving? Glad Graham is feeling better! :)
Post a Comment