Mar 5, 2009

Lent

Our dear Smith family friends are Catholic, and shared with us, at a recent Children's Museum/Chess Club playdate, what they are giving up for Lent. My kids were very impressed that Christian would be giving up soda and candy, and Oliver would be giving up candy, plus selecting some of his toys to share with needy children.

We've talked about Lent since then. The LDS church does not observe Lent, though I recall giving up something during childhood years for our own family version of Lent. It's a beautiful idea, and one very much in keeping with our LDS principles of fasting, fast offerings, and mastering the natural man.

This morning, on the way to school, Graham brought up the subject again. "Mom, what would you give up for Lent, if you were giving up something for Lent?"

I thought for a moment, then came up with an answer. I had just opened my mouth to reply when Graham interrupted.

"Wait Mom, I think I know what it is!" said Graham. "I think you would give up yelling for Lent."

"How did you know that?" I asked Graham, perhaps too incredulously.

"Well, I've heard you say it before," he said, somewhat diplomatically for an 8 year old.

I answered honestly: "It kind of makes me sad that you knew I would say I wanted to give up yelling."

"Why?" he asked.

"It makes me wonder if I'm a very good mom." (Cue sad music & self pity at the steering wheel.)

"Oh you're a great Mom!" both kids cried out in unison. (Let it be noted that I let them have some Captain Crunch cereal for breakfast.) "You just yell sometimes," added Graham.

A minute or so later Annie said quietly, "I knew you were going to say yelling too, but I didn't want to say it out loud."

Wow.

I will also note that I've been telling the kids about an upcoming book study I'm going to be participating in with friends (any friends in B/CS are welcome to read this book & join the two-part discussion/application nights!). The book, Scream-Free Parenting, was one I read over Christmas, and found deeply thought-provoking and wise. So perhaps (perhaps?) the kids already know that I want to stop, um, yelling. (The book is about eliminating any form of emotional reactivity in parenting, not just screaming. The title is a bit off-putting for more mild mannered mothers.)

Do I always yell? No. I try really hard to be loving and patient and practice deep breathing on a regular basis.

Do I sometimes yell? Yes.

Do I more than sometimes raise my voice at Graham when he dawdles in his bed, at 7:15 a.m., playing with the cats instead of getting dressed? Do I sometimes yell at the end of the day (or the beginning of the afternoon) when stuff is just dumped everywhere? When Graham says he can't even sit at the table where cucumbers are being served? When Annie says for the 300th time, "I don't want to go to church" on a Sunday morning?

Now I'm making excuses.

Bottom line, I've always had to work on my temper. I've been working extra hard over the last year. I have been only partially successful. But if I rephrase that, I could say, yes, I've been successful to a degree.

Being a single parent exacerbates everything that stressed me in the first place. I highly don't recommend it.

When my old life started to unravel, I did have the whisperings of the Spirit that I would be able to learn something from what was about to happen to help me in the rearing of my children. Charity suffereth long, and is, second to the atonement, the most profound and life-changing concept I can think of.

So yes, I am going to give up yelling for Lent. I'm going to put my New Year's Resolution rock that says 1 Corinthians 13 right next to my computer. Say no more!

However - and ask my sisters anytime about how much this bugged them growing up! - I'm not quite ready to give up lip biting.



16 comments:

Sara said...

Erin I agree with your kiddos - you are a GREAT mom, Cap'n Crunch not withstanding...

Steph Thomas said...

I think yelling is better then hitting. It just lets the frustration out. I am sure my kids would probably agree I need to give up yelling to. I must be doing it more lately because Matthew has started doing it more. He seems to copy everything we do. But peeing his pants because he didn't want to stop playing just really makes me mad. My kids just aren't as old and verbal about how much I yell. Kids can make us so mad sometimes.

Elizabeth said...

So, I usually give up my beloved Dr. Pepper, or beer (sorry) or something like that. One year, we were talking at work about what it would mean to give up something less tangible, and I thought mine would be gossiping. Of course, that is both easier and harder than soda ...

You are a great mom, Erin, and single parenting is just hard. My mom, when I asked her recently when she stopped being so mad when we were little, said she still got mad, all the time, at things ranging from large to small, but her therapist had told her to keep a lid on it, so she would go to a pad of paper (she said she had them hidden all over the house) and write in VERY VERY TINY print why she was mad until she was calm.

Not that this is applicable to you, but when I am constantly nag-gy at Jason or Oliver, I think of my mom working so hard to change.

You are and will continue to be an excellent mother.

Laura said...

I so love the way you write. I can practically hear Graham & Annie discussing your yelling habits. And they're right, you're a great mom and they're lucky to have you!

Sherry said...

I tell people that I don't yell--my voice is naturally loud:)

I have always preferred to give up lint for Lent. I don't clean the dryer filter or dust under my bed.

Aunt Sherry

J and M said...

I have many thoughts on this...........(back later as it's not the appropriate time for thought now at our house). I have been thinking about lent. I want to read the scream free parenting book. I am not a screamer, but impatient when I do not want to be. Or rather when I want to be, but when it is not best to be. Many thoughts. I applaud your thoughtfulness, and think that thoughtful parenting really does scrub you entirely out so that all your dirt comes showing up, just as it does in marriage.

I think that I thought (: it wouldn't show up with my kids (naive, it didn't come up when they were little).......as it does with my spouse. Alas. I was not correct. Time to work on life.

Susan said...

I actually was thinking that I wrote to each of you about what you were giving up for Lent. I think your resolve is admirable and I will pray for you. We were just reading about that kind of thing in " The Holy Secret". For me, my goal for lent is to give up eating when I get home if I can just remember that when I get home.

robyncreates said...

That would be a good one for me to give up too. We are also working on this in our family. R and I had both had it the other night and the kids heard it. We then had a family council about how everything had gone, the next day. Here I am putting it out, as you did, for all to see. haha

Funny thing is I don't remember much yelling in my house growing up if almost any at all-wish that could be my kids' remembrances, but, alas...too late. Last year was not good in that regard for me when Ryan was gone too. Nighttimes.....grrrr....no patience left....after several months of parenting alone, it wasn't even nighttimes alone, just no patience left starting first thing in the am even, or just totally drained, so I felt almost out of it; in a daze for a day or two at a time, b/c I was so tired...of what I would ponder...the answer came: parenting, truth be told. I love my kids and treasure them, but parenting is not meant to be done alone-and I had it easier-with an end in sight. I pray for you Erin and although you were not looking for praise, I think you are a wonderful mother and am amazed at your smiles an patience you give your kids. Love you!

robyncreates said...

I was just thinking how strange that I almost write more personal thoughts of mine on your blog, rather than on my own. :)

Andrew said...

As for mom's comment - I have no memory of her asking about Lent for each of us even on HFS blog.

Though not conscious to the date - I am trying to let go of control - meaning wanting to control my life and being able to turn it over to the Lord. I'm a worrier by nature, a perseverater by practice, and as mom likes to remind me - a third child. I'd like to know everything now - especially when it comes to decision making (as a parent) and I get a spun a little too tightly. I'm trying to detach and move forward with decisions. Also learning to let go of wanting to control certain parts of my life because other parts are ultimately out of my control (though I can certainly put in time and effort) - health, A's job, etc.

Honestly Erin - I think you're the perfect parent for your children. You are a great match for Graham - if I were his parent, I'd probably have to give up a lot for lent - and I LOVE HIM DEARLY, but I know that he and you were put together on this earth for a reason - both because of each of your strengths and weaknesses. You're an awesome mom!

Courtney said...

DUH - that was ME, and NOT Andrew!!!!

Debs said...

Erin, I don't know how you are any parent does it. I am only with children for 8 hours a day and loose my patience so easily!!! I do find myself yelling when I shouldn't. Just this past week a few of my students started screaming at each other and one child screamed an EXACT phrase that I have said. As soon as I heard it, I felt like crying! Sometimes I forget how much the children hear and take in. I really need to work on not yelling as well. It's so hard when we are tired, frustrated, annoyed, irritated, etc. At least your children like my students do know that we love them. Thank God for this!!! I'll ask you how you're doing on this if you ask me...maybe we can help each other! Thank you for your thoughts...they are always so helpful to me!

Jennifer said...

I also have a problem with speaking sharply. I'm gla I'm not the only one. I'd be very interested in reading the scream free parenting book and getting in on the discussion. Can i get it at the library?

Becca said...

What a wonderful post. Erin, you are TRUE! I miss those hilarious, observant kiddos of yours, as well.

And I am getting on half.com right now to order "Scream-Free Parenting" . . .

Courtney said...

By the way, I haven't seen you do the "lip bite" for a very long time! I used to think you were going to bite right through - perhaps you could do a short video clip and post exactly what you're talking about, for those who've never had the pleasure...

Courtney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.