Mar 26, 2009

A true moderate (perhaps my most self-centered post yet!)

I think that I am a good mix of many things. Despite my Obama flagwaving, I'm actually quite moderate in many ways, and I do have some conservative tendencies (in the denotative sense of the word, if not the political connotation). I value hard work, honesty, integrity, good old fashioned family values. 

Although I think compromise can be a virtue, and moderation in all things is a worthy mantra, sometimes I wish I was less scattered and more intensely a person with a recognizable point of view.

Meaning, I can be chameleonic, so that when I'm around my crafty friends, I talk scrapbook angles. When I'm around my foodie friends, I swap Pad Thai recipes. When I'm around my pop culture addict friends, I reference current movies and shows. This duality might stem from my Gemini zodiac sign OR my innate desire to please the people I am around OR a genuine interest in many things. In any case, I have a wide variety of interests (from Antarctica and pre Cultural Revolution China to Fisher Price Little People toys from my childhood to Lindt truffles and Cheetos).

I yearn for high culture opportunities but am much more likely to be found listening to HSM with my kids than opera or reading a Banksy book rather than an art tome. I read voraciously, but about a third of what I consume is either lit-junk (Shopaholic books, anyone?) or easily consumed newspaper articles (hello, New York Times online!). I am both hard-working, as with my teaching responsibilities, and incredibly lazy, as evidenced by my total lack of a fitness regime. I am an environmentally-concious steward of the earth who buys organic milk, and a junk-food lover who eats Cool Ranch Doritos purchased at the Shell Station. Oh, the shame. 

I love to sing, dance, and play the piano or violin, but I don't consistently practice my talents enough to feel competent. However, I can honestly say that if my mom lived here or I lived there, I would sing all the time. It's just that I'm somewhat limited since I am my own accompanist! Also, I don't have a good floor for tap dancing. I am fashion conscious in the way that a Project Runway fan can be, yet settle for wrinkle-free spray when ironing seems like too much work. I am a mindful parent who really considers what my children need and a harpie who loses her cool over dirty socks.

I have faith that God knows our hearts, and this gives me great comfort. When I pray at night, I ask God to look into my heart, because despite my many failings, I want to do good and be good. So despite my shifting self, I feel that my inner justice/mercy compass is actually pretty steady.

So do you have any interesting dualities or guilty pleasures that might surprise those who *know* you?

7 comments:

Becca said...

Oh, Erin, I love you. Your duality definitely stems from your genuine interest in many things, and not those other two reasons, you Gemini, you.

The dualities I see in myself most often are the ones that annoy me. I consider myself neat, organized and punctual . . . so why am I always searching for that essenital document, and why is my kitchen floor forever in a scuffed and crummy (literally) state, and why am I invariably running late for things?

I love this post. So fun and well-written. My favorite part being the Cool Ranch Dorito Shell station confession . . . not that I didn't already KNOW, mind you :). You and your Fun-ions.

Joel said...

So, you are.. "but a living ganglion of irreconcilable antagonisms?" We're members of the same club. It's really refreshing hearing you speak so clearly of the state of being that defines so many people, including Ralph Rackstraw. Thanks for this post Erin, made my day.

Steph Thomas said...

I just love your posts. It is fun to read what it on your mind. Another one to add to is that you are so busy, yet you take the time to make every single person you talk to feel like what they are saying is the most important thing. You are so wonderful, bottom line:)

robyncreates said...

I loved hearing more about you and the way you see yourself. It's always interesting to hear how one sees oneself compared to how others see them. I find some similarities in myself to some of the things you listed-for example: I like to sing, play the piano, and many more things, but I don't do any of them often enough to feel really competent in them either. That is me my whole life too-I see it as balanced though still. :) At least that is what I tell myself. :)

robyncreates said...

I also love reading your friend Becca's comments too. :)

Courtney said...

Erin - I think this is one of your greatest assets and why so many people from so many walks of life consider you a dear friend because you connect with people on different levels. You have so many interests and can fill the space on so many topics. Some people who would try this might have 2 things to say about the 1 thing they have in common with another person, but not you - you have knowledge, quotes, experiences, passion on the many facets of life. I truly think this is why people are drawn to you and why you're such an amazing people person.

What is your Meyer's Brigg's status? (Hello I'm an I -- I'm assuming you're an E, but what about after that?)

Mine changed only slightly between High School and Graduate School. Was INFJ then ISFJ but the percentage of NS SN was like 45% 55% and vice versa! I'm curious what you are.

Anna M said...

Love it. I'm not sure if I am ready to reveal my guilty pleasures yet.