Oct 19, 2009

Bento boxes

Our (meaning MY) morning lunch-packing routine is almost always frantic - I slap together some sandwiches, grab apples, crackers, mandarin orange packs, string cheese, locate ice packs & stuff it all together in the kids' insulated lunch totes.

Wouldn't it be fun to have a bento box lunch instead?

Here's an interesting multi-perspective column on the value of aesthetics in Japanese culture, including the bento box trend. I did a google image search of bento boxes and was super impressed by the selection of images. Some lunches truly look too spectacular to eat. (Some don't look very appetizing, to tell the truth, but they're still amusing!)

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

There was an article in the Times about this a few weeks back. They are truly astounding to look at, but it kills me when the moms are like, "It just takes me 5 seconds to throw them together!" They are either stretching the truth or ENDLESSLY more skilled than I am ...

Courtney said...

Charming - yes.
Appetizing - no.

Susan said...

It's all about presentation. Wish I did that. They don't look that tasty but beautiful.

Becca said...

I just want some of those little critters to stick on the food I already make--a sandwich would be much more exciting with a cute li'l panda bear peeking over the crust.

J and M said...

I think they actually look okay to eat. But I do like sushi. Oh well.

(: Remember when we did sandwiches for a month at a time. HMMMM.