Oct 17, 2009

Hospice/care in prisons

This New York Times article reports on a prison hospice program for dying inmates, largely staffed by other inmate volunteers. I thought I'd share.

One of my *interests* is successful prison programs. I'm not sure if it stems from watching "The Shawshank Redemption" or not ... but I've always been interested in prison programs/models that work, whether they involve education, gardens, dance programs or theater (remember the article about Italian prison theater programs I blogged about?).

I'm certainly no softie about criminals, and I think that harsh punishments are often necessary, but so much of what I've heard/read of prisons in our country makes me think that they corrupt and destroy. The penal system is often rotten, and the rotten core taints both prisoners and guards. (The story of this Huntsville murder, committed by a guard at the prison, made me very sad.)

I thought these words, from a previously hardened criminal who was trying to better himself by volunteering in the prison hospice, demonstrate the value of this program: “It’s helping me mature,” he said. “My views of life and death are changing. I was unsympathetic when it comes to death. I’ve had friends die, and I was callous about it. Now I can’t do that. I’ve come to identify with these guys, not because we’re inmates, but because we’re human beings. What they’re going through, I’ll go through.”

I recall hearing this Kitchen Sisters (a charming NPR series) story about the rodeo/cook off held each year at Louisiana's notorious Angola prison. I was listening on my way to work and had to try to wipe off my smudged mascara before entering my classroom because I'd gotten so choked up listening to the story.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Oh, man, Erin. You simply MUST read I'll Fly Away--a compilation of personal essays written by women in York Correctional Facility. Wally Lamb taught in a creative writing program there. I think that book is actually the 2nd of the books they published. Flat out amazing read. Absolutely amazing.

Elizabeth said...

Prisons are so necessary, and so ... horridly terrible. It is impossible to reconcile the two, with our current system, but I love to hear of flashes of inspiration and goodness everywhere. Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

I loved that book Heather. And Erin, I've always been interested in the prisons and jails. I love the ones with gardens and dog trainings etc. Working in the jail hasn't changed my mind.

hkobeal said...

Who is Susan? Susan Hill?? I haven't gotten to talk to anyone who read that book. It's a tough read, so I'm somewhat reluctant to recommend it.

Did you read the other book he compiled as well?

I felt like a caricature after reading it . . . I wanted to go picket a prison and demand for better treatment of prisoners.

Erin, sorry for hijacking your blog post comments area.