Sep 9, 2008

Instant death

A funny memory from this summer: We were at a McDonald's in Oklahoma (yes, I'm already depressed a little just remembering the hot asphalt parking lot), stopping for a bathroom break/cone break. While walking to the restaurant, Annie bends down to pick up a cigarette butt.
Graham is truly horrified! "Annie, don't you know?!?!?! Cigarettes will KILL you," he screams.

She leaps back as if from cobra fangs.

Wow - he really paid attention during D.A.R.E. week at school.

"You're right, buddy. They can kill people by making their lungs very sick. But they don't kill you immediately. And not from just touching one. It isn't right away."

"Really?" he asks, not entirely convinced.

Then later, back in the van, as we continued traversing the impossibly huge state of Oklahoma, he brought up smoking. Side note: on an atlas, OK doesn't appear to be three times the size of Texas, but it sure feels that way.
Graham said, "Mom, if bad teenagers ever try to get me to smoke, I will tell them I have two reasons not to. First reason, The Word of Wisdom. Second reason, I am diabetic and CANNOT smoke because it will damage my blood vessels. Diabetics cannot smoke. They will need to know this!"

Go get those bad teenager influences, sweet boy! That'll tell 'em. :)

Obviously, I need to find a way to apply D.A.R.E. instructional principles to my FHE lessons.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a busy Blogger today, Erin! Hey, could you send me your new address?? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and you have inspired me to post a similar story about Camryn, maybe that will get me blogging again!

Becca said...

Ha! I remember you sharing this story with us, but I find it is even funnier to read it!