Sep 30, 2008

Real Simple

Kathy Littlefield gave me a stack of Real Simple magazines that she was done with. Talk about appreciation! I love Real Simple.
I love to laugh at their slogan too - "Real Simple. Life made easier."

Anyone who has ever read through or leafed through a copy of Real Simple knows that the life portrayed is anything but easier than what I'm currently doing (soup for dinner, mismatched kid socks, applying makeup in the car), but still, it's so inviting. The room layouts, the beautifully-styled food, the "quick" dinner recipes, the slimming clothes. Ah, Real Simple, take me away.

After reading, I do feel inspired to make our beds with hospital corners, to fluff the couch pillows, to place fresh parsley attractively at the edge of the plate, to keep all of my personal scripture study materials in an attractive woven basket next to my bed. (Hey, I did that after I got an adorable basket at Goodwill). It might seem even frivolous, but for me, my head is clearer when my home is organized and attractive. When I moved in this fall and boxes were everywhere, my brain literally slowed down. Unfortunately, that created a vicious chaos cycle that was hard to break.

I've been rationing the issues this week while I tried to grade the first round of essays for my fall classes.
Voice in head, talking to self: "If you grade another two essays, you can read another article in Real Simple."
Self, picking up Real Simple: "Once I read this article, I will grade another two essays."

Oh well, whatever works!

http:///

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Real Simple -- well isn't not called Real Easy, that's for sure. I find good recipes inside (that's where I got the yummy panini recipe!) I'm always amazed at the guy who does the paper works -- like cups of cocoa with marshmallows made of paper. Someone gets paid for that - wow!

Elizabeth Kiker said...

Suzanne (Jason's mom) left one behind when she went home yesterday. Perhaps suggesting that a Real Simple way of life would be better than my Real Anal. Oh well --- it is fun to read. Also --- we went to the National Book Festival this weekend and saw Kay Ryan --- do you like her poetry? I love it -- she is the new poet laureate and she decided she had to be a poet on a cross country bicycle trip. All I decided on my own cross country bicycle trip is that I am incredibly stubborn and incredibly whiny, but I appreciate HER wisdom gained. Which has nothing to do with Real Simple -- sorry.

Susan said...

I think that is the perfect way to reward oneself. I like the magazine too but I am not deluded into thinking it's real life.