Nov 24, 2008

Carrion humor

We saw a buzzard on a city street today, picking at a dead armadillo. I explained to Graham and Annie the vulture's role in the food chain. Graham thought for a moment, then asked, "Do vultures actually eat other vultures when those birds are dead?"

I'm guessing yes on that one!

A few moments later, Graham said, "I think there's a dessert with that name, a peanut butter Buzzard."

Annie and I both gagged, then she said, "No, it's a peanut butter Blizzard!"

5 comments:

hkobeal said...

Oh, man, Erin! This made me laugh out loud. So funny.

J and M said...

I hadn't seen one of these glamorous creatures until we arrived in TX. U G L Y. I am glad there is no treat named after them!!!

Courtney said...

As per Marni's recent post about Texas cockroaches -- my Minnesota crickets seem like a minor nuisance compared to dual cannibalistic creatures like buzzards and cockroaches.

Becca said...

Allen has a favorite William Faulkner quote he is fond of bringing up:

William Faulkner had a thing about privacy. "If I were reincarnated," he once told a friend, "I'd want to come back as a buzzard. Nothing hates him, or envies him, or wants him, or needs him; he's never bothered or in danger, and he can eat anything."

Leave it to the southern writer to think of the "virtues" of such a creature. :)

Elizabeth Kiker said...

Creepy to think of buzzards. But funny to connect them to blizzards.