Nov 25, 2008

"Give me your tired ..."

A few weeks ago, I was tired to the bone. We arrived home, discovered that Ulrike had just given us a marvelous tall chair, and carried it into my bedroom. Once there, I climbed on the bed and went brain dead.

While I was napping a bit, Graham and Annie played in my room. They even took pictures of each other, as you can see.

I must have been drifting in and out of being awake, but I vaguely remember them saying, "Get a torch" and "No, I'll go first!"

When I awoke, they told me - proudly - that they had been playing Statue of Liberty with the tall chair and some princess tiaras, singing "The Great American Melting Pot" together (with its apropos chorus of "Lovely Lady Liberty ..."), and having a patriotic good time.

Wouldn't you know it, they played together beautifully and creatively ... and I slept through the whole thing ?!?!?

5 comments:

Laura said...

At least they took pictures to document the fun for their sleepy mom. What cute kids you have!!

Becca said...

Sounds like my dream nap. Those pictures are perfect--they are Charlie and Lola incarnate.

al said...

Hey Erin,
One of my favorite things in the world is to see kids fully enjoying their moments as children. Graham and Annie have always been masters at doing this, don't you think? I do love the pictures.

Also: I don't know if you've heard of him (likely you have, because you usually have heard of folks), but a historian named Andrew Bacevich wrote a book called "Limits of Power" that really blew my mind. I've been talking Becca's ear off about it. Anyway, I thought of you and thought you would be interested. I'd be curious to know what you think if you get to read it. I won't tell you all about it here, but look it up. It was extremely educational and enlightening. I hope a lot of Americans will be exposed to it, or other similar writings.
-Allen

Courtney said...

I can SOOOOO tell I'm a mom now when the first thing I notice is the Barbie in a Christmas Carol video -- do you OWN that?? We're on hold at the library but it will be a while. I bought the book for Elin for Christmas -- thank you Scholastic book order, but we are SO excited about the video.

Sorry you were so tired - Barbie, Lady Liberty, Snoozy-dooze!

Elizabeth Kiker said...

Come up and visit and we'll all take a trip to NYC and see Lady Liberty for real ... although it won't be nearly as cute as Annie and Graham ...