Second, here's my last post about the election. Fitting that it comes from Friedman's column. He's a smart Minnesotan, that one:
Since the last debate, John McCain and Barack Obama have unveiled broad ideas about how to restore the nation’s financial health. But they continue to suggest that this will be largely pain-free. McCain says giving everyone a tax cut will save the day; Obama tells us only the rich will have to pay to help us out of this hole. Neither is true.
We are all going to have to pay, because this meltdown comes in the context of what has been “perhaps the greatest wealth transfer since the Bolshevik Revolution in Russia in 1917,” says Michael Mandelbaum, author of “Democracy’s Good Name.” “It is not a wealth transfer from rich to poor that the Bush administration will be remembered for. It is a wealth transfer from the future to the present.”
from "Vote for ( )" by Thomas Friedman
Don't you know it, Mr. Friedman! Neither of those approaches is true.
Regardless of who wins, we are in for a long, painful national recovery. Now, more than ever, we will need to rely on provident living, self-discipline and long-term goal-setting to help us rebuild America for future generations.
I do not think Obama has all of the answers - and I can respectfully disagree with McCain supporters/I still love ya! - but for those of you who are panicked at the thought of an Obama victory, rest easy. He is a smart, disciplined man. He is a believing man who is not opposed to "family" values. He is a good man whose hope-inspiring rhetoric may be just what we need in the difficult days ahead. His ideas are, in fact, grounded in reality (unlike certain charges), and he has the wisdom to seek out experts. Colin Powell, anyone? Warren Buffett? One thing I trust about Obama is that he will not fill his cabinet with cronies and buddies. Who knows? Maybe he'll have a few republicans too. Not a bad idea. I think that if we'd had a few more checks & balances, things might not be so dire now.
6 comments:
I do so love that Thomas Friedman.
And I hope that whoever the "victor" is, he will not continue to spoil the citizens of this truly great nation with bailouts and alleged easy solutions. Friedman is right, and you are right, Erin--we need to discipline our habits and educate our desires, if we want to stay strong, united, and blessed as a nation.
Barack the vote, Erin. :) Over dinner tonight, Kennedy said: "But wouldn't it be even cooler if MICHELLE Obama were running?? And then we could have the first African American AND the first woman?" Cool indeed. Maybe next time.
Voted this a.m. in Virginia ... a 40 minute wait at 5:50 a.m.! Here's hoping a brighter future is coming soon ...
Ooh, a Virginia vote. You go, Elizabeth!
And to Heather - yes, I really like Michelle Obama too. In fact, one of the things I like about the Obama candidacy is that he obviously has a strong marriage, a partnership. They love each other & support each other. (I think Bush & his wife have a strong marriage too, for the record, but McCain doesn't seem to be up for husband of the year ...)
And Becca - you're right. We need someone who can speak the truth to us. I hope the winner is capable of that too. It's time to tighten the belt. I need more olive oil in my food storage!
I got in a "discussion" with the stake clerks about this very thing last week. They both were frantic that if Obama was elected he would raise our taxes. Now if I personally was in debt like the government is I would desperately need a raise. That is also my contention with the Iraq war. No one seems willing to do anything or sacrifice anything for it.
Post a Comment