May 29, 2009

Back to normal


June is almost here, and my good spirits have been mostly restored. What has helped?

1. Painting the trim on this rental house
When we moved in last August, the house was badly in need of touch ups, but there was no time. I endured many months of embarrassment when I pulled into my driveway. Self-imposed embarrassment, yes, but still, I hated the peeling paint and shabby door.

Well, that shabby door is now an appealing orangey Arizona Red. And the ugly green trim is an attractive charcoal called Raccoon Fur. I've been painting and taping, but I also paid (or will pay) a college student to help with the out-of-my-reach stuff. Best money I've spent in a long time. First of all, he's taller than I am and can reach the places I can't. But more importantly, having him come paint has helped me get to work. I'm definitely a project procrastinator, and I often let the perfect be an enemy of the good (I'll start when the dishes are done, when the house is spotless, when I can speak Hindi, etc.) but since he has to be finished by June 5th, this exterior painting project is going to be a project that starts and finishes in the same month.

2. Baseball
This week we had practices on Monday and Wednesday and games on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Seeing my friends and neighbors and cheering side by side every day for a week has been a tonic for happiness.

3. Teaching Gospel Doctrine
This is one of my new callings, and I'm loving it. Great class participation, great insights, and a much more manageable workload that still allows me to interact with ward members. Teaching energizes me (at least it does when it goes well), and teaching adult Sunday School is spiritually energizing.

And many thanks for the kind words and profound thoughts that came in response to my "Drifting" post. For starters, they reminded me that we all go through times of disconnection. Knowing that I'm not the first one to go through a challenge comforts me enormously. Having some new coping strategies (including Barry Manilow) is a plus too.

6 comments:

J and M said...

I do not love feeling ungrounded. I am glad things are finding some anchors. Wish you taught gospel doctrine in my ward (if I weren't in primary, of course).

Becca said...

I don't get the Barry Manilow reference. Don't you think he sort of looks like Rod Stewart?

And I want to see a PICTURE of your pretty door and trim after the tall college (tallege?) student comes to help.

I'm glad you're feeling better, wish like Marni that I could attend your Gospel Doctrine class, and hope you will learn to speak Hindi soon.

hkobeal said...

I'm with Becca - we need to see a picture of your Arizona red door and raccoon fur trim. I feel cheated!

You are possibly one of the only people I know in the world whose Gospel Doctrine class I would want to attend. Well, my Dad does a great job, too.

Elizabeth said...

Glad you're back, and yes show pics! Did you get my long email re: bicycle advocacy work? I'm telling you, there are millions of us (or at least tens). I'm really glad you've found a spiritual home at your church --- it's okay to wander around lost in life, but I know you really count on having a specific thing you love to do at church. Giving up young women was a tough call, but it definitely sounds like it was the right one for right now ...

robyncreates said...

I wish I could attend your class too. :) Love ya!

Susan said...

You look back to normal. That's always a good sign. Can't wait to see you in person.