
From "The Case for Working with Your Hands" by Matthew Crawford in this week's New York Times Magazine: "This seems to be a moment when the useful arts have an especially compelling economic rationale. A car mechanics’ trade association reports that repair shops have seen their business jump significantly in the current recession: people aren’t buying new cars; they are fixing the ones they have. The current downturn is likely to pass eventually. But there are also systemic changes in the economy, arising from information technology, that have the surprising effect of making the manual trades — plumbing, electrical work, car repair — more attractive as careers. The Princeton economist Alan Blinder argues that the crucial distinction in the emerging labor market is not between those with more or less education, but between those whose services can be delivered over a wire and those who must do their work in person or on site. The latter will find their livelihoods more secure against outsourcing to distant countries. As Blinder puts it, “You can’t hammer a nail over the Internet.” Nor can the Indians fix your car. Because they are in India."
The author also recalls his own time teaching school when he wished for a Ritalin fogger. (I had to laugh since I tell students every semester that I am going to invent a caffeine mister to wake them up!) It's important for people to know how to work with their hands, and for some/many, it is the best way to learn.
5 comments:
I have loved shop class, wood working at SCSU, and pottery at both SCSU and BYU. I wish I could know more about plumbing, automotives, and how to re-wire our antique lamp. It is a pleasure to work with my hands, and I do know many who learn best that way.
I took motor mechanics in high school and loved it. We got to rebuild an engine - it was so fun! I love to mess around with all kinds of stuff, which is helpful for renovating. Jason is glad, because while he can do a lot, he doesn't get the same kind of...umm...intoxication as I do :) I admit it, I'm a DIY-aholic.
Jason was really excited about this article because he works with tech education, and is happy there is a resurgence -- they are going to try to get this author to speak at their conference this year.
Sometimes I think working with my hands shows who I am and makes me feel real. The process is meaningful because I see how little things come together to make SOME THING tangible. As teachers we seldom see the end result of those little things.
Aunt Sherry
Oh! I love this excerpt. I think that Allen secretly longs to work with his hands and be a farmer or mechanic. I wish there were an easy way for him to take that route now, but gradually learning (in a line upon line fashion) is usually the best way.
We got a chainsaw a few weeks ago and Allen took care of a sixty-foot dying pine tree. He was so happy whilst buzzing through the branches--and he delights in taking good care of his new tool-slash-toy. If things get dicey with is current job, maybe he could be a lumberjack?
Post a Comment