A few years ago, Graham really wanted to change his name - he was insistent! - but he wanted it to start with a 'gr' blend. He finally settled on Gregory, and yes, I called him Gregory for at least two hours.
When I was a kid, I went through a short phase of thinking my last name sounded a bit strange. I remember thinking that if only my last name was Hall, my life would fall into place. Don't laugh - a vowel can be a powerful thing.
Do any of you remember the names you wish you had been blessed with?
I have always loved my first and middle names (and was perfectly satisfied with Hill once I turned 11, I'm sure), but I also loved the name Betsy. My French class name was Annick, and I wouldn't have minded being called that. My current name fav? Maeve. I just love that name.


12 comments:
I am the blog dud, as I have always and only liked my name the way it is. My spanish name was Mercedes. I thought it was so neat for a brief moment, and then realized that I did not like it at all.
I do think I loved the name Kelly when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. No offense to anyone named Kelly now, but why that name? I have NO idea.........
I loved the name Kristy when I was in the 6th grade and secretly pretended I had a twin named that. Seriously. Yeah, I was cool. :)
This made me think of one of my very favorite movie quotes:
-Would you please call me Cordelia?
-Call you Cordelia?
-Don't you think it's a pretty name?
-Is that your name?
-Well, no, it's not exactly my name, though I would love to be called Cordelia.
-I don't understand what you mean.
-Cordelia is a perfectly elegant name.
-What is your name child, and no more nonsense?
-Anne Shirley. Plain, old, unromantic Anne Shirley.
-Anne Shirley is a fine and sensible name, and hardly one to be ashamed of.
-Oh, I'm not ashamed, but if you are going to call me Anne, would you please be sure to spell it with an "e".
Except Anne is actually one of my favorite names! :)
Like Maeve Binchy? I know her books are your guilty secret. This is Bonnie's take: "I don't want to read a book about old people falling in love." And there you have it. Maybe I'm confusing her with Rosamund Pilcher??? I forget . . . as I digress.
I have never loved my middle name: Dawn. I was supposedly named after my grandpa, Donald. Which is unflattering on several levels.
When I was in high school and even college, I told people that my middle name was Duane. A funny variation of "Dawn" that elicited some wonderful responses.
I love my name. I am a Becca. Or a Rebecca. Never Becky. Is it weird to name your own daughter after yourself? Something about it seems prideful, but how come it's okay for men to do it?
To Marni - your name is so unique there is no need to change it. Liking "Kelly" doesn't seem like a fit for your names but hey, we all do weird things in the 4th graded (like cut our own bangs - moi!)
To Erin - I love Annick - that fits you. I was Consuela in Spanish - dudsville! I used to tell people my name was short for Cornucopia. Yes - I DID!
I always loved Hill - so swift and crisp. Honestly, I never thought I was a Courtney - to have to say my OWN name felt (and sometimes feels) odd. Not that mom and dad didn't name me right, it just doesn't roll off my tongue.
Graham is SO not a Gregory it's not even funny, though can buy Annie as a Jasmine (for 2 hours!)
My name is alliterative, one with hissing esses front and back. I have spit on everyone (accidentally) who has asked my name.
My brother Gary wanted to name his daughter Shelley. I begged, "don't she'll spit on everyone." So they didn't--they named her Mitzi- try to say Mitzi Silvers without spray. My nephew, Monte, named his little girl-Shelby (again try saying Shelby Silvers without excess saliva).
So, Sherry Silvers it is. (try saying that for sixty years)
Just to add a little something --say 703 7th Ave. South. I should be grateful, if my address had been on the other side of my house, it would be SSSherry SSSilversss, Ssseven 0 3 Sssseventh SSSTREET SSSouth.
love Aunt SSherry
Oh, I always wanted to be a Geneviève, Chloë or Élise! I was a little jealous of my sister Melanie, whose name could be frenchified to a lovely Mélanie. This may seem silly, but when you go through 12 years of french immersion, then move on to a french university and all your teachers are from Québec or France and can't say their Rs, it would have been so nice!
In the end I am just grateful that I was a girl and that my mom didn't allow my dad to name me Pablo or Pedro (after some character in a book he was reading at the time).
Oh, and Maeve has always been one of my favourite names. It was on my baby name list, but Jason thought it was too "out there". He didn't think he'd be able to remember how to spell it. I knew a girl in high school who changed the spelling of her name to Medbh, which I thought was a bit pretentious.
Oh I've always loved Elizabeth, and bitterly regretted my years as Liza. My parents called me Libby, and when I went to a new school in fifth grade they asked my name and I defiantly said ELIZABETH. It stuck one year, until fateful sixth grade, when Laurel Lane (darn her!) a POPULAR girl, said "Elizabeth is too long; what about Liza?!" And so I was stuck, a slave to peer pressure, until I finally got my Battalion byline and switched back to Elizabeth. Now if someone calls me Liz or Beth or some other variety I actually burst into flame. Elizabeth. Period. (Wow --- see, be glad all of your name envy didn't turn into an actual name change or you'd be a bitter 35 year old like me ... :) )Anyway, I love the name Erin.
I've never been in love with my first name (maybe because everyone else I know has the same name), but never thought to change it. I love my middle name -- Anise.
When I was in grade school, I loved the name Todd and wanted to name my first born son "Todd". Funny thing, that.
I don't mind Susan but I hate Sue. I still like Benedicta but alas it wouldn't suit me. I can't see me being called Beni...
I've always wanted to be named "Manure" and just have people call me "shit" for short. I SHOULD pardon the expletive, but it would ruin my favorite punchline.:)
Post a Comment