Aug 7, 2009

My birthday, a/k/a Corinna, the amazing woman!



The big 37 arrived during a summer of ... new chapters. When my adorable friend Corinna (known as the driver of the Fun Bus at my house) approached me about throwing a big birthday bash, we discussed the idea of an Act II party. It's a lovely thought. (Insert overused F. Scott Fitzgerald quote here.) This entire process of unraveling a relationship has been a strange, contemplative journey, not unlike a marathon. A melancholy marathon. And I've been fortunate to have cheering supporters at every point in the race. This party would be a milestone in that marathon journey.

Whoa, Nellie. Blogspot needs a cliche-checker that indicates overuse of common expressions with a squiggly purple line.

Corinna is a gifted person and an especially gifted friend. This title encompasses her ability to listen, to empathize, to suggest, to support, to prod and to love. The party and all of its details were a showcase of all that she is and gives. 

Also, she's one mean party planner.

The actual birthday celebration - exquisite and elegant in a way I could never achieve or pull off - truly was a coming together of some of my dearest friends. For those outside our county lines, I only wish you could have been there too! Heather, wonderful Heather, did drive in from out of county!

Highlights?

a gorgeous round table set near her wall of windows
dramatic table linens in black and silver
a floral centerpiece to die for with roses, daisies & pussywillows
delectable food, all of it
heartfelt, heirloom gifts
great conversation

... and the neatest part is that Corinna used the Littlefield Lowdown as a point of inspiration. 

I think it was right after I complimented the absolutely yummy vegetable lasagna made by Ulrike that someone asked if I recognized the food.

Yes, I recognized that it was tasty (and was probably having seconds or thirds on that lasagna and the tomatoes with mozzarella & basil!). Then it clicked. This food came straight from my own lips: my Company dinner post. That's when I knew we'd be having chocolate molten lava cakes for dessert. Perfect!

After the meal was eaten, the gift bags and boxes, looking festive and feminine on a side table, were brought to me. Ulrike asked me with a smile if I knew what the gifts were. Since they were wrapped, I had not a clue. But she was hinting at something. I opened the first gift bag ... and could not believe what was before me. Hoops with fabric for my desired collection. 

Again, something I had blog-dreamed about in this post.  Corinna purchased the hoop frames and sent them out like craft rovers seeking beauty and charm, and the friends at the party then chose a piece of fabric just for me. (Oh, the fabric! Owls, musical notes, maps of MN & TX, a painting-style photograph of me & mine, birds and trees and happy yellow patterns ... and more. The best collection ever!)

Notes were attached.
Tears were shed.
A long rambling choked-up speech about how much I appreciated the validation from my friends (present and scattered) may or may not have been uttered by me.
Gratitude (I hope) was expressed.

The entire evening was a moment, or a series of moments, to be remembered for the rest of my life. I could not believe I was the recipient of such a gift and was so happy to be there.

Corinna selected a dragonfly as the invitation image. She even ironed-on the invitation image and the text to fabric and hoop-framed them. At the end of the night, she pointed out that a dragonfly is a symbol of renewal. A perfect image for the perfect party. Renewal, at least for me, is not only a singular experience. I am lifted and buoyed by the energy of those around me - and that includes my dear friends out of state as well. 

This party provided enough lift and beauty and light to last until the next birthday comes around. Until then, I'll keep posting.

11 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I want to know all about your birthday!! Make the link work!!!

corinna said...

Oh my, I can't wait to read the link, but I already I LOVE the title.

hkobeal said...

I think you need to add this to the title: "My birthday, a/k/a Corinna, the amazing woman . . . she is SO together."

Erin said...

Finally, finally the post is here in some form or fashion ... kind of shameful that comments preceded the post!

Elizabeth said...

Wow -- Erin, it sounds like a lovely, tender, gorgeous party, and like Corinna truly is an amazing woman. Only a woman as wonderful as you would be blessed with this many wonderful friends. You and they deserve each other!

Leila said...

That is just beautiful. The kind of party you dream about.

Heather said...

Glad to finally read the write-up! It was a wonderful party. Hats off to all your friends in B/CS who made it happen and to Corinna who found me via facebook so I could join all of you.

Allison said...

It looks like a wonderful party Erin. Corinna really does have excellent taste. Classy, I love it! :) I feel really badly that I wasn't able to be there, but I'm glad you had an enjoyable night and a great birthday!

Becca said...

Wow.

What a special day! I am so grateful to your friends who are close AND close, who can do these things for you--I agree with Leila that it's a dream party. I love the dragonfly/renewal theme. I want to see pictures of the embroidery hoops!

Courtney said...

What a fabulous birthday celebration! At first seeing the picture without clicking and enlarging and seeing people on the sides, I seriously thought it must have had a black dress code - the people and table looked LOVELY! Wished we could have been at the great evening to celebrate the fact that you're 5 years OLDER than I am!

Tracy Loewer said...

That is so sweet, I actually started to tear up!