Apr 26, 2009

Company dinner

In the beloved Betsy, Tacy & Tib series (deservedly beloved ... I like to reread them every couple of years or so and they've never let me down!), many of the stories' sweetest moments involve company. Betsy's family rolls up the rug on Sunday nights, people come over and dance to the latest piano tunes (early 1900s), and onion sandwiches are munched by everyone. (Yes, they use the verb 'munched'.)

When Betsy and Joe get married (finally!), they are invited over to Tacy's house for dinner, and Tacy proudly serves her company dinner.

This is a long way around to the point of the post, but I got to thinking about Tacy's dinner, then wondered what I would consider my company dinner ... and what you would consider your company dinner.

And, of course, whose company dinner are you most excited to eat? I sure did like the fixin's at Elizabeth and Jason's house in D.C.: homemade pizza, delicious salad, big hunks of fresh bread, farm stand produce and tons of Trader Joe's chocolates! And when I visited Becca last summer, every meal was a delight. Perhaps Allen's fried rice was the most delicious dish of all.

Baytown visits always meant tasty food too. Kathy is the queen of having some delicious waiting on the stove - cheese soup, green dip (that I would gladly lick out of the bowl), broccoli and rice casserole and other southern favorites.

My company dinner?
Probably veggie lasagna, crunchy bread with garlic butter, roasted asparagus, and chocolate molten lava cakes. Maybe a soup in there somewhere too. I like making corn chowder. Of course it's been awhile since I had a proper dinner party, but in a past life, I liked inviting people over to eat.




8 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh -- aren't Betsy-Tacy books the BEST!? Do you remember our vacation to Mankato and we got to see the Maud Hart Lovelace museum? I'd love to go back. I re-read the books last year and adored every minute.

I would love to transplant myself into that family - that life, onion sandwiches and all.

Do you really make chocolate molten lava cakes? How come you've never made them for us - oh wait, yeah, that's right - seriously, who would eat them with the various sugar free, gluten free, dairy free, grain free, soy free, starchy veggie free, variations of many of the Hill Family members. I am married to someone who would gladly eat the entire family's worth of chocolate molten lava cakes (and he still manages to have a 32 inch waist.) Talk about monumentally unfair! :)

Becca said...

Ah! The "deservedly beloved" link won't work for me--I want to know where it goes.

I always loved eating at your house, Erin--yummy Thai dishes and tortilla soup and veggie lasagna, and Kyle's amazing quesadillas! And you always had pretty placemats and I loved your long, thin forks--the presentation was invariably amazing. But, like Courtney, I have yet to taste molten lava cakes . . . maybe when you come to visit me this summer??? I'll buy the ingredients. :)

My friend Jessica in Arkansas is the best cook/chef I have ever personally known. She always made fancy custards and simmery soups and, hello, her own French bread. I don't feel like I will offend other friend who are also good cooks, because Jessica had separate cannisters for her bread flour and cake flour and pastry flour--she warn't foolin' around.

I think my most common company dinner is fajitas, with lime wedges thrown right in with the chicken, onions, and red bell peppers. I also enjoy making a good homemade pizza with fresh basil, and a Caesar salad with homemade croutons--delish.

It is so fun to have company. Maybe I'll give those books another try . . .

hkobeal said...

Hey! No mention of company dinner at the Beal house??? Boo!! You mean Papa John's pizza and cold cereal just didn't make the cut!? For shame.

For the record, you made veggie lasagna for us the first time we had dinner at your apartment in Bryan. I ate before we came because I was afraid I wouldn't like the lasagna. :)

I loved the lasagna, of course, but the lasagna was also good. Kennedy tried to drink the water out of your cat's water bowl, remember?

Fred said...

I think I would serve my universe-famous hot pepper fondue. Here is how it goes:

1. Invite guests for "company dinner" at 6:00 pm.
2. Serve hot peppers (be sure to wash BUT DO NOT remove stems).
3. Dip hot peppers into fondue container, remove, and eat.
4. Clean up after guests leave (most guests leave by 6:10 pm).

Special note:

* Fondue pot must be kept at a boiling point.
* Fondue pot must contain minced hot peppers, settled in Fred's special brine.
* Special brine receipe can be given on request. However, it must always contain a quality tallow (musk oxen horn is best).

Happy to share,

Fred

Elizabeth said...

We had guests on Saturday AND Sunday this weekend, and we cheated and made a HUGE vat of potato salad on Saturday. We served it with burgers on Saturday and fried chicken on Sunday. So fattening, so yummy. I wish you had been here!

Sara said...

Fred cracks me up. I remember standing in your house on 8th Ave. and him drinking tobasco straight from the bottle. I still remain in awe.

I have a couple different company dinners, depending on the season, but to me, the company is the most important part. I would even cook vegetarian if you would be my company. :)

Joel said...

Hurray for food.

-Joel

Melea said...

hey, will you email me your molten lava cake recipe?? I LOVE those cakes, but the recipe I tried... well, it wasn't a pretty sight at the end. :) Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!