May 29, 2009

Annie's request for a dog



I posted this on facebook as well, but wanted to share with everyone because it just charms the socks off of me. 

The story: last Sunday, Annie and Graham were having some quiet time. Annie started working like crazy on this letter. After completion, she handed it to me in a manner that conveyed great import. I read it thoughtfully ... and read it again ... and then she asked, "Have you decided now?"

The transcription of her dog request is: he Wil Slep on the blacit. I Wil woc him evr daY. his nam wil Be carle.

The details are what make me smile. That little 'blanket' is a tiny zebra rug that sits by Annie's bed, and sure enough, she's drawn the zebra.

In the walking picture, little Charlie's tail is even wagging! 

No, I have not agreed to a new dog, BUT I have agreed that we can try to pet sit a friend's dog or practice walking one.

What were some of your pet's names when you were growing up?
I cannot even list the various Hill cat names, though our first cats were named P.J. and Jamie. They were cute. We were devastated when my dad found or spotted one of the cat's body on 9th Avenue. Come to think of it, those may have been our first and last outside cats.

5 comments:

Becca said...

Oh my. If anything could make me cave, I think this letter/card would be it.

Um, I am going to speedily direct Cori to this post, because I believe she has received several such cards from her children (usually Morgan) over the years.

I always wanted pets. Coonland was quite the menagerie. But I am perfectly satisfied with the nine animals we own right now, and their names. I am enjoying my heavenly backyard too much to get another dog. And who could replace Jack Benny, anyway?

*BTW, these are the chickens' official names:
Rosamund (NOT named after R. Pilcher)
Sodalina (she has no toes on her left foot)
Mrs. Dalrymple
Mrs. Nesbit
Mabel
Maude
Lulabelle
Carmen Miranda

Two names from your suggestions, thank you very much. Perhaps it is totally overbearing of me, but I can't abide my children choosing pet names if they're going to be something like "Blackie" or "Chicken" or (shudder) "Aladdin."

Courtney said...

You have to do a name post for all the Hill animals.

Hamster - Caramel (that was my name for her and it was not original)

Guinea Pigs - Magnum P.I.G. and Kirby Piggett. (Oh we thought we were clever).

Rabbits - Fergie and Di!

Cats- Anastasia, Vanessa Vanilla, Maximilian (though I always thought it was Max A Million), Balke Bartakamous, Teddy, Madison Lorenzo, Sophie Winslet, Spencer Lodz, Indiana Scarpacci, Schubert Warlow, Lucciano Weasley, Jussi Potter, Beckham Youngquist, Brooklyn Yarrington, Baxter Littlefield.

Did I get them all - did I spell them right???

Melea said...

We only had one dog growing up named Sadie. The cats... hmm, let me see if I can remember all the names: KC (for Kitty Cat... I think we had 2 or 3 KC's), Sassy, Hobbs, Abby, Katie and Cookie (the only time we had 2 cats at once - they were sisters and we managed to convince Mom and Dad that they just couldn't be separated!), Charlie (Mom and Dad's current cat), and I think I might be missing one or two.

Laura, if you read this, what did we name the cat we caught in the hay stack at the shop? I don't remember.

Oh, and Michael once had a goldfish named Bready... b/c they fed him bread crumbs. :) I think he got the fish in preschool.

Elizabeth said...

Read Mrs. Obama for promises from children re: dogs. She just said this weekend sometime that she walks him at 5 a.m. everyday, and that if you get a dog, even if the children beg and beg, to know that ... that dog is doing to be your responsibility. Having said all that, I think you, Annie and Graham would be a lovely family for dogs.

Sherry said...

The first dog I remember was a cocker spaniel named Mike. Ask your dad if he remembers Mike's heroics.

We had a little dog named Spike.

A cat, Punkin and a dog, Licorice, who always had babies at the same time. We had many puppies and kittens through the years.
Punkin may have been a generic named for all yellow cats.

I love the note!!