
Kyle kindly *zipped* all of his Spoon songs & sent them to me, so now I have their entire oeuvre in my iTunes, and I just love 'em. Their songs have a drive that literally make me want to get up and mop the floor.
Why do I love this band?
1. The lead singer's voice. Kinda nasal, very unique, tons of style.
2. The rhythm. Driving keyboards, bass, drums and guitar all contribute to the beat.
3. The hooks. Gotta have those hooks.
4. The band background - they're an Austin, Texas band, and the lead singer is 38. I don't know why, but I like that he's near my age. He's a rock peer - ha ha!
5. Great song titles. Great song variety.
4 comments:
Allen also loves Spoon. I do believe its still his favorite recent band (and his favorite recent solo singer is Josh Ritter)Maybe I'll come to love them in the gradual way that you have--though I do already love the song "The Underdog."
Are you familiar with Elvis Costello's early stuff? They remind me of him. My Aim Is True is one of my favourite albums (probably because it was one of the ones my dad used to crank up on Sunday mornings - ah, gotta love music memories).
I have heard that comparison too & would like to listen to E.C. more. I know a few songs, but have always thought he was something I'd like.
I think it's a parent's duty to crank up some kind of music! :)
Erin,
I have always admired this about you. I don't do bands. I don't actually really do music. I have always been more of an open slate person when it comes to music- meaning I am open to the music that those I care about enjoy.
Music for its own auditory sake, is not very important to me. It IS to my husband and children, the auditory creatures in the house. As a more kinesthetic person, I enjoy music that moves me. I guess strange for a performer?
Anyway, I am always glad to see/hear what you are interested in. I wouldn't venture to find any of this on my own, but I am open to what you and others I care about like.
(I have tapes and CDS made for me with mixes by Sue Heath, Peter Spuit, Alison Feigh, Erin and Courtney, Jonathan, etc......A theme abounds here. So many of my friends are auditory, and I am the appreciator!!!)Appreciater?? Spelling. .
Post a Comment