May 11, 2009

My amazing mom!



I have many amazing women in my life (Grandma Janell, Kathy, Gammy, MawMaw), but none more amazing than my own mother Susan Hill. The above drawing is Graham's tribute to Grandma, since he knew she would love a smiling lip woman! She is a smiling lip woman, in his words.

Speaking of Graham ... and Annie, they had to fill out a Mother's Day gift tag for me at church. I thought I'd answer the same questions they filled in, except about my own mother! Sorry Mom, you don't get the flower pen, just the answers.

I love my mom because ... she is a lovable, fascinating person who has sacrificed and continues to sacrifice for me, someone who has always made her children her top priority. Also, my mom gave me opportunities - to learn musical instruments, to perform, to improve myself - and is my favorite life coach! My mom is a true friend.

My favorite thing to do with her is ... sing around the piano! I really miss this during the 47 or 48 weeks of the year when I don't get to be where she is, but I love singing together during the 4+ weeks we do spend together. Taking pictures, then oohing and ahhing over the pictures (and laughing over the duds) is also a favorite past-time. Let me clarify: she takes the pictures, I ooh. Problem-solving is another favorite thing with my mom - no one is better at helping me formulate a plan. My mom is the BEST at helping me (and us) turn over a new leaf, whether it's parenting or weight loss or attitudes that we want to change/improve.

I know my mom loves me because ... she makes sure and has always made sure that we know: notes, cards, emails, letters, calls, and words of affirmation. One of my favorite memories is my mom's To Do list. When we were kids, she made a To Do plan for each day or so, and framed it in a plastic stand on the red kitchen counter. Each day it would list the jobs we needed to do, but it also listed fun things we should make time for. My mom understands balance and abundance very well. She pushed us and nurtured us!

Another cherished memory - coming home from school one afternoon, eating the snack she set out for us (a yummy daily feature of our afternoons, often popcorn or dried fruit or delicious homemade custard), then finding the note that said that Dad would take us to choose a Barbie Doll outfit while she taught piano lessons. I forget the outfit, but not the thrill at hearing we each had $3 to spend on doll clothes, courtesy of Mom.

My mom is 
a thinker, 
a talker, 
a planner, 
a giver, 
a disciple, 
and a wonderful role model. 

I love you, Mom!

11 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I've only met your mom a few times but I remember clearly just knowing what a good mom she is --- mainly, I guess, from knowing you and what a good person she raised YOU to be (and your dad, too, of course, but this is in honor of mother's day!). Oh $3 on doll clothes ... nice. I remember the day my mom brought home Cheetos, a heretofore unknown treat in our house. Oh the joy!

Courtney said...

Thanks for your tribute to mom!

And Happy Mother's Day to you too ERIN! The Amazing mother of Graham and Annie - you are admired by so many for so many reasons including that YOU are:

a thinker, a talker, a planner, a giver, a disciple, and a wonderful role model.

Laura said...

Your mom truly is a wonderful lady. What a great tribute to her!

Sara said...

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful woman and mother! I always enjoyed being at your house, and felt loved by your amazing parents...

Allison said...

That's very sweet Erin. I'm sure your Mom loved it. You're a wonderful Mom too and I hope you had a great Mothers day

J and M said...

Ditto to all of this!!!!!!! I remember the little notes next to the ramekins of trail mix with XOXO's. We'd come home from school to those, and know of her love while she taught piano lessons.

Becca said...

Wow. I'm not saying 'wow' because I can't believe how great your mom is--I'm re-affirming your own exclamations about your amazing mother.

She's the kind of person you meet once and care about what she thinks. I love the Barbie clothes memories and, hello, the homemade custard memories! And the lists with fun things added--what a great idea!

A smiling (heart-shaped) lip woman, indeed.

Fred said...

When Courtney was very young she thought that Susan was my mother, too. What a lovely thought! I would have been honored had Susan been my mother. As Marlon Brando said in the movie, On The Waterfront, "I coulda been a contender." But, if Susan had been my mother where would Erin, Marni, and Courtney be?????? Scary thought! Change "mom" to "wife" in
Erin's beautiful post and you have my true sentiments.

Fred of MN

colleenky said...

Please add yourself to the list of amazingly loving and creative Moms. YOU ARE!!

colleenky said...

Yes, Susan is an amazingly Mom, Grammy and sister.....I loved having some time with her last weekend!!! she has such a good heart and kindness. very generous spirit......we missed you and your sisters and Fred at the "sibs" event-----maybe later.... xx co

Susan said...

Erin, I love spending time with you and thinking about you and being amazed at your brain and your spirit. I love you.