Feb 2, 2010

Apple doesn't fall far from the tree

My sweet daughter is scrumptious. She has the sweetest dimples you could ever hope to see, and her eyes literally twinkle. She also has an unusually pretty forehead. I hope that doesn't sound too boastful, but seriously, the curve of her forehead is particularly feminine and delicate.

Her only beauty flaw is her tangled hair. It's so fine that even with detangler spray and conditioner and brushing, it mostly looks untended. Add to that 'growing out bangs' and an odd back-of-head cowlick, and you have a recipe for a disheveled 'do. I'm sure teachers at school have pitied her messy hair, wrongly believing that because she lives with a single mom, there's no time to fix it properly in the morning.

The wrong part about that is that I've never been a hair fixer at any point in my mothering career. Sure, I admire those who style their kids' locks, but that really isn't me. I lack the skills, truly. I feel all thumbs when I try to hold a brush and three strands of a braid.

On Sundays, I try to break out a headband or something, but one need only look at my hairstyle (wash-n-go/cut my own bangs/blow dry for fancy stuff) to realize that Annie started three steps behind, hair wise. You know the funny thing? Her dad is very good about washing, conditioning and styling her hair before it dries. Her hair often looks the best when she's with him. I'm proud of him for that!

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

She and you are both adorable!

Becca said...

Amen to this post. I might copy it word for word and paste it on my blog--because it describes Mollie's hair and my abilities to a T . . . except Allen has even less skill than I do in the hair department.

Allison said...

I always thought I'd be a horrible Mom because I can't french braid. I've practiced and practiced and practiced, but I've concluded that kids who go places in french braids must have Moms with three hands. It's just not possible to do with 2 hands.

J and M said...

(:

Melea said...

love the picture!

Susan said...

And what about the amazing do's we seen on the graham guy?