Feb 27, 2010

My hair

I am going to pay someone to color my hair professionally this week. I'm at that point. I like being a red head, and since Mother Nature isn't willing to help me, I have to D.I.Y. But D.I.Y. can occasionally look like a Fright Night. Time to find other resources. I'll still do the touch ups, but am going to see what happens when a person with a good view of the back of my head is the one applying the color. It might just work!

Last night I got home late from a Houston adventure. I took a bath and went to bed with wet hair. Woke up & my hair looked like this. Straight outta bed at 5 a.m. to paint pinewood derby cars, and I look ready to paint the town. Looks like going out hair, out on the town hair. If I tried with a curling iron and spray to achieve this look, I'd never be able to do it, but one night on my damp locks = best hair I've had in awhile. When I try to do my hair, it rarely works.

And don't you know that as often as not on Monday mornings, my hair looks like a wet blanket. A wet dog blanket. My hair is no respecter of events. If it wants to look good on a Saturday morning when I'm cleaning and getting ready for the Pinewood Derby, it's going to do that. If it wants to cowlick and be recalcitrant on the day of my teaching review, it'll do that too.

It's all about the humidity here. I love the way humidity makes my hair wave, yes, but it's an inconsistent gift.

Even if the hair works ...
I hate the way humidity makes my face sweat.
          I hate the way humidity makes my clothes stick.
                       I hate the way humidity + heat makes my life drag.
So it's kind of a mixed bag.

9 comments:

Sara said...

that IS great hair! I cannot wait to see the after pictures too...

Sherry said...

limited humidity in Idaho :)

Leila said...

I hate the way the humidity made my upper lip sweat. Yuck.

Tracy Loewer said...

Yep, your hair is totally cute and ready to rock the wee small hours of the morning. May as well celebrate it, regardless of the the fact that it's the wrong end of the wee smalls! Have fun at the salon!

J and M said...

I have learned that if I want good hair, then I must leave it up to chance and indeed take a shower the night before........If it's horrid, I can do what I always do. Often, however, it is my best and most voluminous hair (: Nightly washes for you too?

Anonymous said...

Well...in MN it's the LACK of humidity that makes your clothes stick, static cling and all...I try to compensate with lots of lotion, but it is still a pain!

Thanks for the reminder that I need to call the beauty school to schedule a foil! I gave in to the treatments a few years ago, afraid of the DIY but willing to trust the local students! :)

Fred said...

Erin, you have a beautiful head; you looked beautiful all the months your tiny head had no hair.
Being without a shred of bias I can honestly say: You are one terrific looking woman, with or without hair. I am an expert in this because I am your father and no one has ever loved you more than me (your mother ties with me).
Other than your mother no one has ever spent more time with you when you didn't have hair. As Tom Cruise once famously said: "I know these things!" I am always proud of you.

Love.

Dad

* Your picture is terrific! If I had hair I would wear it like this - including the head band.

Becca said...

Love the headband--you look as Binoche as ever, Erin.

I am sorry about the humidity--I don't miss it, even though my skin drinks up lotion like a desert drinks up water.

Wet dog blanket . . . you crack me up.

Colleen said...

It's funny how universal the "I-can't-make-my-hair-look-right" feeling seems.....You look marvellous. You always have an edge of fresh fashion trendsetter-ness...try to limit your self criticism to 10 minutes a day, cumulative!