Feb 9, 2010

Hip Hop, week 2

Our teacher was leading the class tonight, and she was simply grand. A good teacher, a good explainer. An amazing dancer. I can't even begin to explain this splits move that she was pulling off during the warm up. Not pulling off, more like lifting up. I have a ways to go in flexibility, yes. Noted.

Even though I can't do the splits (Tigerette memories), it was funky fun, so expansive. I got the entire combo, no problem. My feet knew where to go. Am I lacking in urban sass? Oh, look away ... of course I am. When we had to "pop our booty," I looked like I was auditioning for the musical Oklahoma, for the role of Judd, I think. (No, I don't know what that means.) Sass I can practice in the mirror. I'm learning!

I also had a lesson on word power during the warm-up. You know how I want to expand my vocabulary? Add in some new, fresh adjectives? Turns out  that some of the words I already know can pack a punch just fine. In fact, I heard ten of the scariest words in the English language tonight.

"In this class, we do six minutes 
of ab crunches."

And so we did.

9 comments:

Becca said...

I better not leave my usual hilarious comments that make you GUFFAW, because I know how painful it can be to laugh after an excruciating ab-workout.

Okay, maybe I don't . . . but I can IMAGINE how painful it might be . . .

Wish I were a fly on the wall to see your Judd Fry bootylicious ho-down.

Courtney said...

Good for you Erin. If you look like Judd from Oklahoma, then I'm gonna look something like Skye Masterson trying to boogie ala Guys and Dolls. I can't wait to see the routine. When I watch Elin do Irish dancing I see that I'm more designed for that kind of motion than the Beyonce gyrotech (Marni's fav!) Actually, were we to do a production of Oklahoma or Guys and Dolls my dancing skills would be right on with that style. Maybe I'm living in the wrong decade/century for my dancing abilities.

Teach me Liz Lemon!

Elizabeth said...

I totally salute you for going and doing this. You are so much hipper than I could ever be ...

Sara said...

I agree wtih Elizabeth. I have waited for the report of the second week, only sorry that it doesn't have a photo to accompany it. That is one scary sentence, although I can attest in my exercise class, I sometimes look forward to the crunches, cause it means we're done doing those nasty lunges! :)

J and M said...

Yee haw Judd. He was quite strong, actually.........I surmise.

What do you do with kids during said class? I'm glad you are going.

We'll do a dance-a-thon to the new Thomas the Train, REMIX, oh yeah! when you come. Miles said that he enjoys the "rack" music (rap). It's Thomas at its finest........you can provide the moves.

Steph Thomas said...

1 minute is scary enough for me, probably because I don't have a lot of muscle in the ab area. 6 minutes what does she expect?!

Susan said...

We will need a video. Good for your ab s

Anna M said...

You make me laugh! It sounds like a fun class.

Tracy Loewer said...

Some words just shouldn't be allowed in the same sentence. Have fun working on those washboard abs.