Jan 15, 2009

Parenting and anger


As mothers it’s impossible to not lose it sometimes. A wise parenting expert I know said you should strive to be a great parent 80 percent of the time. The rest of the time you just need to realize you could have done better and move on. It’s that 20 percent that inducts us into the sorority of on-the-edge mothers and also lets us off the hook when we so desperately need it.
So says Susie Orman Schnall, as reported in today's Motherlode blog.

That got me thinking about my own percentages. I hope I'm hitting 80% at least 80% of the time.

5 comments:

Becca said...

I remember your mom talking about that--did she get it from the same person, or come up with it on her own? My problem is gauging the percentages. Because one time of blowing my top seems a lot larger and lasting than four times of being patient and understanding. :)

I remember your mom talking about applying it to callings--that we don't have to go overboard with activities and planning and lessons, and it really has helped me to be more realistic about the way I serve in the church.

But all of that aside, I didn't know that Suze Orman was a parenting expert as well.

Teehee.

Elizabeth said...

I just ... agree with you and Becca about this. Also, Becca, can I see your blog again? I liked clicking through and reading about your life, but now can't see your blog? Sorry to talk about this on your blog, Erin ...

Elizabeth said...

I just ... agree with you and Becca about this. Also, Becca, can I see your blog again? I liked clicking through and reading about your life, but now can't see your blog? Sorry to talk about this on your blog, Erin ...

Becca said...

Flattery will get you everywhere with me, Elizabeth Von Bike Leagues. Here is a link to my blog. I welcome your comments any time.

J and M said...

Ooooh. This makes me feel very happy. I often reflect at how I wish I hadn't let so and so child, down in such and such a way, on all the days long...........I sometimes have a vague sense of wanting my kids to grow up "feeling" some sort of happiness, good memories towards me/our life and wonder if they will..........If I can shoot for 80% I think I can manage that!!!

Now, to be an 80% wife, friend, employee, can those count too (: