Last night, we had to leave Jen's birthday cake eating get-together after 1 hour. The kids knew this would be the duration of our stay, but of course, when I gave them a 10 minute warning, they replied, "We're just starting to play!" In the van ahead of time, 1 hour seemed like a long time, but when kids are playing with their best friends, 1 hour is nothing.
Graham was not a happy camper, but I took the hard line (in a private "conference" with him in a spare room) and told him that if he gave me (any more) trouble about leaving, he wouldn't be able to go to Boy's Book Club tonight. Amazingly, this worked ... maybe/probably because I was dead serious and willing to follow through.
As we got in the van, both children having left the party without any (apparent) fuss,Graham asked me a few questions: "Can I invite whoever I want to my party?", "Can I only invite the people I want to be there?", "Can I choose who comes to my birthday?"
"Yes," I said. "You can choose who you want to invite."
"Is there someone you don't want to invite?" I added.
short pause.
"You," he said, quietly.
Ah!
"That's fine too," I said pleasantly. "What do you think you'll do about your birthday cake? And what kind of invitations are you going to make? Where do you think you'll have the party?" I continued, rather sweetly.
short pause again.
"I need to think about it," he said, and didn't mention the topic again.
8 comments:
I hope my comment section is working again ... I tried to adjust a few settings & must have mangled it all.
Cori, go ahead & leave your comments. I love 'em all!
:)
Aha! You fixed it!
I love the birthday un-invitation! It made me laugh out loud (but not LOL). Very funny and very frustrating. Still, it would be interesting to hear what Graham might come up with for a birthday cake--I think you should keep the dream alive. I love how all kids look forward to the next holiday/birthday, even though they just glutted themselves (mine did) on Christmas overload. You chose the best response possible.
Oh, good, I thought it was just me being especially inept today :)
I love when you put up stuff that your kids do. They honestly say some of the funniest things I've ever heard. Seriously, I was busting a gut.
I was so sorry not to be able to leave comments! It actually made me sad, what Graham said, but maybe because I can't imagine when 10 month old Oliver will be almost 10 year old Graham ... (9 this year, I know). Anyway ... your response was perfect.
I also think your response was perfect. Sorry though for you. Not ever fun to hear from your kids. Cameronn told me (when he was three) that he didn't love my one day when he was unhappy with me. Thanks goodness we have a different perspective on the whole scheme of things than they do. :)
I also love your response. Sounds like you handled it perfectly and just those few words you said made him rethink his uninvitation!
That is hilarious! And your quick response is priceless.
Remember when we used to play for hours on end, and then complained when one of us had to go? Those hours flew by! Ah, memories! :)
Your kids do say some of the funniest things. I think I may have said something like that to my mom once.
Your response is great. I often have trouble with a kid at school he tells me he doesn't like me or that he doesn't care. I wish I were quick enough to have a good come back...usually I just tell him I love him, but that doesn't get the same shock response that it used to. Hmmm. Have a great day.
Post a Comment