Jan 13, 2009

My all-time favorite NPR quiz show


Well, it's also the only NPR quiz show I listen to, but it's still my favorite: Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me.

It's the only quiz show that features, as its prize for winning, the voice of Carl Kasell (pronounced Castle, but without even a hint of a 't') on your home answering machine. When I'm out and about on Saturday mornings and tune in to WWDM, I experience a feeling of belonging, a feeling of 'Here's my tribe of goofballs and they broadcast each week from Chicago.'

How to explain the format? There's lots of commentary on the week's news, but jokes and humorous anecdotes and stories from mildly famous participants. It's low-key fun, and here in BCS, it's on KAMU 90.9 FM on Saturdays from 10 a.m. - 11 a.m., right after Car Talk.

I hope this blog isn't turning into a mere interactive recommendation list. I don't think so, but it is fun to share favorites, especially radio shows. I guess I'm tweaking my fall pattern of politics - kids - design, with favorites - kids - other people's wedding photos (not necessarily in that order).

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I had no idea how to spell his name --- I always thought Castle! And I love the show, though listen to it very infrequently ...

Carl said...

Who pronounces "castle" with a hint of T?

Becca said...

Haha, Carl!

Erin said...

I'm pretty sure that people from New York pronounce "castle" with a t. A hard one!

Danielle said...

One of my all time favorite radio shows, I also can't get enough of This American Life. I have to listen to it by podcast right now, but Peter, Carl, Paula, and Mo are the perfect companions as I ride my bike to school.

Susan said...

I've only heard it a couple of times... maybe we could make up our own to add to sniglet frenzies.

Jennifer said...

Also a reason I love to run errands on Saturday mornings.

Um, Todd and I have an interactive recommendations blog. Is that bad?