It's later, when the red ink begins to flow, that I get significant attitude from Today's Youth (the name Marni, Jonathan & I came up with for surly, entitled teenagers in groups when we saw such a cluster tubing down the river one long ago summer in Minnesota).
But today will be fun and will remind me how much I love teaching English. When I was a junior in High School, sitting in Ms. Braun's class (thank you, Jan, for making us read "Bartleby the Scrivener" even though I may have rolled my eyes and certainly chatted with my friends), I had the thought: I would like to do this too.
I've already shared my epiphany with Ms. Braun, years ago in a St. Cloud grocery store aisle, but I like to remember my good fortune, that I have a vocation - gifted to me when I was 16 years old - not just a job, and that I am stunningly lucky to be able to do something I really love.
4 comments:
I would love to have you for an English teacher, Erin. And I look forward to being an English teacher down the road . . .
The comic at the end made me laugh - it totally reminded me of my high school English teacher! She'd ask us to write a paper on our opinion of _______, and more than once my paper would receive a lower grade because my opinion didn't match hers. :)
I love your thankfulness for your vocation ... inspiring the rest of us to feel more inspiration for our jobs, and less drudgery ...
I have had to work with a crew of "Today's Youth" each summer pollinating corn and it has really been frustrating. I hate having to cajole, prod, curse, and threaten them to get what could be a fun job done.
Post a Comment