One week before Christmas, my washing machine broke. Water was leaking everywhere. Kyle came over and checked the hoses & didn't feel any moisture, so he figured it was leaking out the bottom. I didn't have time to wait for a repairman in those few days before we left, so I washed clothes by hand. I've done it before and was reminded again that stirring clothes in hot water and detergent is really harsh on the skin.
I was fearing worst case scenario, that I would have to buy a brand-new washing machine in January. Then I had a new worst case scenario when we arrived home: Knight had mistaken fabric for cat litter and made a mess of many, many a blanket/pillow/sock/towel/shoe/mind. That darn cat!
My friend Jennifer had kindly bagged the bulk of the filthy stuff in my laundry area, but I knew I needed to wash, and soon.
Today, the repairmen from Buddy's Appliances arrived. They examined the machine and told me that the problem is with the transmission. The 'tub' of the washer isn't supposed to spin while it drains, but mine was spinning, thus making the water level rise up and spill out.
Total estimated cost for a new transmission = $200. Total cost for a new washing machine = $388, they said. Total desire to buy a new washing machine this month = 0.
But then 'Carl' mentioned I could still use the washer as long as I kept it on the medium or small setting. Oh, really? Jojavascript:void(0)y returns. I can use my washer! I can wash my things. No more pioneer wife hunched over a tub for me.
He said repeatedly, "Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, ma'am!" But I only heard that I could wash again. I know that small loads use more water and aren't as environmentally sensitive, but let me tell you, even a small load is going to use less water than rinsing in a tub.
6 comments:
Great news that you can use it! Here's to pee-free clothes immediately!
Ugh-so sorry-our washer recently had some problems, but thankfully, they were a quick and inexpenisive fix. Do we all cringe when we hear the washer has problems?
Environmental, environschmental............all things in their time, and small loads of laundry are FIRST! hooray.
I don't know about those cats . . .
I admire you for washing in the sink--red, cracked, dry hands and all. I dread the laundromat with a dread that is real, but don't know which is worse.
Yay for small loads!
Just realized: Don't you RENT??? Why on earth isn't your landlord fixing this problem???
Sorry to hear that but glad that you can still wash at least a little at a time.
Post a Comment