Last fall, I happened to see it on the library's New Books shelf. I'm a sucker for glossy cookbooks, and love to check them out just to drool at food styling. This one was a bit different, however. I could see myself making many of the dishes, like pan-fried deviled eggs. And I was halfway through the book when I realized many of the dishes were meatless or had meatless adaptations. One of the nifty features of How to Eat Supper is a variations-on-a-theme list after the main recipe. I renewed the book, then returned it, then checked it out again, then requested it for Christmas. It's funny and instructive and full of recommendations and not at all full of itself. It gives lots of shortcuts, like how to make quick pho (vietnamese soup), which I've been wanting to do, ever since I read Anthony Bourdain's A Cook's Tour (his conclusion was that Vietnam has the world's tastiest cuisine).
Here's the plug from Publisher's Weekly, taken from The Splendid Table's website:
... this superb book should grace the shelves of even the most infrequent of cooks. ... Given the show's popularity, the accessibility of the recipes and the authors' practical and useful advice, this excellent book is sure to become a kitchen staple."
You can even sign up for an e-newsletter with tips & recipes.
For someone like me, someone who loves food and wants to be a great home cook, but often lacks time and/or technique, The Splendid Table makes me feel like my goal is within my reach
3 comments:
I made pho once! It was insanely time-consuming and costly, but I think that was because we were making the broth from scratch. It was yummy, though ... Looks like a great cookbook.
Sold!
I wish I would have taken the time to page through this miraculous tome. Oh well.
Post a Comment