My friend Becca comes from an amazing family. She and her siblings are beautiful, funny, talented teasers, and I love hearing Becca's family tales. I also enjoy keeping up with them - and Becca - via their blogs. Becca demonstrates her crafty talent in this post on her own family's amazing Valentine's Day tradition. In addition to being totally impressed with the Renfroe robot creations, I'm totally impressed with three of Becca's sisters and their niftiest crafty blog: These Mamas Make $en$e. They're sharing their decor/project tips and re-D.I.-signed treasures to demonstrate that it's possible to "decorate on a dime." First post that I saw offered a tutorial on making gorgeous fabric flowers; Hanna, the flower lady, suggested placement of a homemade fabric flower on a hippie hairband, like so. I am in love with this hairband. Just as soon as I figure out how to do, um, any of it, I'm going to be wearing one. (Let's aim for summer!)
I love the idea of turning trash to treasure. I'm certainly good at accumulating trash. I am, for instance, saving every one of the glass insulin bottles we've ever used, and plan to create something amazing, someday, somehow. But my craft efforts haven't bloomed much lately. I do like laminating things, and I enjoy perler beads. I like collecting pretty scrapbook paper. I enjoy reading the Anthropologie catalog online. That's about it. I would like to know how to knit or crochet, but am not currently soliciting new crafting hobbies. I am always on the look out for birds to hang from my living room tree branch, however, and this summer I would like to make some felted birds myself.
Despite a dearth of crafty doings in my life, I was pleased to find this Goodwill gem. It's not a craft, no, but it is a cute shirt, and I found it for $1 this summer, and then dug it out of my closet this morning. It's one part Daisy Duke, two parts picnic tablecloth and one part Hee Haw. (Yes, I wore it to school, but with a brown sweater for warmth.)



9 comments:
I love an awesome Goodwill find --- and that is a great (and a bit daring!) shirt ... crafty will come to us. Someday ...
Ok, a million responses in one:
You could glue the bottles around a mirror like this:
http://thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com/2010/02/decor-inspiration.html
Your dancing posts crack me up - in a good way. I was doing some made up aerobics to 80's music on pandora and then I got tired and just started dancing. Aleah lost it! She said I looked silly/weird and held on to my leg to make me stop. I don't remember how we danced. I think the thing about dancing is just letting go and having fun but obviously Aleah disagrees. You are going to be sooo hip. Next you could take some country dance classes and wear your shirt. I love the neckline.
Graham looks so grown up.
Brian says if I die he is going to cut all the girls' hair off. Emily doesn't see the need for brushing hair. I am sensing that there are some awkward non-hygiene years ahead of us.
erin, i love the renfroes too! but the real reason i'm commenting is to tell you how cute, fresh, and pretty you look in these photos-- even though they were probably taken casually, i think they'd be great profile pics!
I love the dual-expression photos of you at the end. One is good, two is better. Very Hee-Haw.
Thanks for all your kind words. I know my sisters will be thrilled at your plentiful compliments, as well. Though I am not part of "These Mamas Make $en$e", I plan to start a chicken-coop-craft blog with Katie and Sharla, the other sisters who got left out of "designing on a dime" :).
If you come this summer, let's go on a Tour De Deseret! I have a map to every single one behind the Zion Curtain!
That shirt is so cute! I love a good thrift store find. And Congrats on the dance class. It looks like tons of fun. I can't wait to live in a big enough city to do something like that, but in the meantime, I'll just have to shake my bootay in the living room and try not to scar my kids for life.
That shirt is GRRRRRREAT! It looks fab on you and I can just hear you saying "hee haw!" Seriously, I really love the shirt, and these photos of you.
Hey, thanks so much for the shout out. You are the sweetest! I also loved that you used the word Hee Haw, and I couldn't stop laughing. That shirt is a treasure. I LOVE IT!
Just because I think that you will look so so cute sporting a hippie band, I am going to make you some, and send them your way! What are your favorite colors? My e-mail is hannalynne17@yahoo.com, send me your address and fave colors and I will get them to you within a few weeks!
Oh, and I am serious about the trip to Becca's. You thought we were cool before, just wait until you come. TEEHEE!
I think it's neat that you name your shirt....
You are way too cute in that shirt, and twice as photogenic as ever!! Love it!
Post a Comment