Jan 13, 2009

A fun question to ponder

I believe it was my friend Heather who first posed this question to me years ago. I've thought about the choices in the question many times since then. I think I even added one of the choices along the way.

Would you rather have?
a) a maid
b) a chauffeur
c) a chef
d) a secretary
e) a nanny
My pick would be a maid ...

but secretary gave it a run for its money!


If my home was consistently spic-n-span, my head would be clearer for tasks like bill paying and budgeting. That said, I would love for someone else to take care of the paperwork.

While having a chef would be tempting, I love to cook, especially if someone else is cleaning up, so a maid would allow me to be my own chef.

I don't want a chauffeur because I enjoy driving around with my kiddos, listening to books on CD and having (mostly) fun conversations with them.

A nanny is probably last on my list since they are in school much of the day; I already have plenty of hours when I'm not with them (7:45 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.) so my daydreams lean toward enjoying our afternoons, evenings and mornings in a spotless abode. "Anyone for a game of Go Fish on this shiny floor?" I would ask.

How about you - what support staff would most enhance your life?

12 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'd rather not have my nanny (daycare) and be able to stay at home with Oliver. Speaking of envious ... I am so envious of the time you got to spend with Graham and Annie when they were small. Also, I've always hate the idea of a maid --- I just don't want anyone to have to clean up my messes. Which doesn't make me hate housework any less, or do any more of it ...

Becca said...

It's always a tough call between chef and maid, but I invariably end up choosing chef.

I love to cook, too, but a personal chef would give me the time and energy to cook purely for enjoyment, instead of out of necessity (read: we're having Ramen because it's the weekend and Mommy is pooped).

I feel I would eat more healthily if someone else was preparing yummy maki rolls and delicious wraps and hearty salads and cool fruit smoothies. Then I could make muffins and brownies on his/her nights off.

Plus, I feel like I would still teach my kids to cook and get them interested in cooking if we had a chef, but I know they WOULDN'T be interested in learning to clean or care for their possessions properly if we had a maid.

Clearly the superior choice. :)

hkobeal said...

WOW! Such a good question. And yes, I'll take credit for it. :)

Tough call.

Why not a nanny who also cooked and cleaned??? I know, I know . . . talk about women oppressing women. Sigh.

In order:

1. maid
2. chef
3. nanny - Since I've started working full time, I still need someone in the afternoons to do homework and some running around after school, etc.
4. chauffeur
5. secretary

robyncreates said...

Maid and Chef give it a run for the money with me. Making a meal seems like such a chore to me most days, but I think I wouldn't mind as much if the rest of the real chores were done, so I would say maid I think. I actually was nanny for awhile and while I enjoyed it and feel I was good for the kids, I wouldn't want one myself. Too easy to get used to and not being with your kids yourself...

Kristi said...

I would have to say maid. Chef is a very close 2nd though. I don't really enjoy cooking, its mostly an obligation due to the fact that we have to eat and its cheaper to eat in that eating out (I would prefer to eat out every meal:)). I don't mind driving....a secretary and nanny could be very useful also!

Susan said...

after much consideration and talking it about it at lunch over work, I am choosing 1/2 time chef and 1/2 time secretary. Dad does most of the maid work. I always think it would be cool to have someone cook cool stuff and organize the refrigerator. BUT I also would like kind of an ' air traffic controller' secretary for the big stuff.

BrianG said...

Definitely maid. I like to cook. I don't like to clean it all up.

Erin said...

Mom, your 'air traffic controller' is a good phrase. That is exactly the kind of person I would like to have around too.

I've heard it said ... and warning, Brian, I'm about to be sexist!!!! ... that what many women want is a 'wife', a clone of themselves :)

Erin said...

Elizabeth - YOu are such a good mom & so smart to have dedicated time with Oliver each day. You are nurturing him even when you can't be with him (by providing loving caregivers). I have more thoughts on this but have been meaning to say something since you posted :)

Jennifer said...

All the laundry I folded tonight makes me long for a maid. A very wise woman once told me, "Pick a chore you hate to do, teach your kids how to do it, and then make it their chore." That's what I'm aiming for as a mother -- having kids who will one day do all the laundry.

J and M said...

Chef. Gluten free, weight loss inducing, chef.

Allison said...

I'd want a maid, hands down! Although I know I'd be the type of person to clean (or at least tidy) before the maid comes. I'm spending my day wiping baseboards and blinds, and cleaning the oven (and wondering why I wanted to do THIS instead of early-morning dance prep!) so definitely a maid. I could tidy, she could do the less-fun stuff, like wiping baseboards.