1) I took 2 or 3 semesters of French at A&M (and 1 or 2 at Ricks College) from a very eccentric French woman who brought her poodle to class.
No, I am not making that up.
I love French and reached the meager height of my prowess in my last semester with her. Oh, how I wish I had a natural facility for speaking French. One of my most shameful memories is trying to practice my French with Bill Langen in his kitchen. As sometimes happens to me when I'm asked a question while feeling stressed, I could not remember anything, not any of my vocabulary: Uh, je ... parle ... uh ... francais ... un peu, peut-etre ... um ... gotta go!
2) During this class, my teacher assigned us a small portion of Marcel Proust's A la recherche du temps perdu. Nowadays, it's been translated into English as In Search of Lost Time, but back in the 90s, we translated it as Remembrance of Things Past. (Yes, I know my capitalization is inconsistent, however, it feels correct this way.)
Perhaps you've heard of this 3,000 page work, even if you haven't read it in French like me.
(Ha ha - I'm joking! I read a few pages, aloud, in halting French, while struggling to comprehend his meaning.)
Wikipedia gives a helpful little summary that fleshes out my memories from my French Phonetics class:
À la recherche du temps perdu) is a semi-autobiographical novel in seven volumes by Marcel Proust. His most prominent work, it is popularly known for its extended length and the notion of involuntary memory, the most famous example being the "episode of the madeleine".
Madeleines are perhaps most famous outside France for their association with involuntary memory in the Marcel Proust novel À la recherche du temps perdu (Remembrance of Things Past in the first translation, more recently translated as In Search of Lost Time), in which the narrator experiences an awakening upon tasting a madeleine dipped in tea:
“She sent out for one of those short, plump little cakes called petites madeleines, which look as though they had been moulded in the fluted scallop of a pilgrim's shell. And soon, mechanically, weary after a dull day with the prospect of a depressing morrow, I raised to my lips a spoonful of the tea in which I had soaked a morsel of the cake. No sooner had the warm liquid, and the crumbs with it, touched my palate than a shudder ran through my whole body, and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary changes that were taking place…at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory…”
— Remembrance of Things Past, Volume 1: Swann's Way.[3]

3) Involuntary memory is a beautiful idea, and whenever I share it with my students during our poetry unit, they promptly share some of their triggers. In fact, I've found that discussion of involuntary memory is an effective trigger of involuntary memory as well.
Here are a few of my song & scent triggers from my Hill life (pre children, spouse, full-time employment), and no, we don't really get to choose our memory triggers, so sometimes our 'madeleines' may have been insignificant or peripheral things in our lives that somehow stuck around or embedded themselves in our conciousness. Some of the trigger songs I've listed below were never my favorite songs, but they certain connect me to my past lives:
When I hear ABBA (not just the well-known songs, but all of them, B sides too) or smell Watkins vanilla cologne, I am awakened to my memories of 8th Avenue in St. Cloud.


Bryan Adam's song "Heaven" takes me right back to Tech HS, and so does the smell of Ralph Lauren Polo. (Yes, I graduated in the 20th century!)


Prince's "Purple Rain" fills me with nostalgia like almost nothing else and can bring me to tears nearly every time I listen to it.

When I hear "Somebody" by Depeche Mode (as I did at our church youth dance on Saturday), I am transported back to the MC at Ricks College, and I am once again slow dancing with an LDS stranger.
The smell of stovetop-popped popcorn also brings me back to Dorm 6 at Ricks College, and not necessarily in a good way, since we burned many an oil-coated batch.
Although I never owned the album, and am actually neutral about the singer, hearing Alanis Morrissette, especially anything from "Jagged Little Pill", is a time travel ticket back to Texas A&M and the Battalion newsroom, circa 1993 or 94. That album must have been on repeat in somebody's walkman because it burned itself into my memory.
Though this is more of a taste than a smell, homemade veggie burgers connect me to Elizabeth's house and her wonderful cooking on Day Street.Now, how are madeleines different from favorites? I suppose they could be the same thing, sometimes, but to me, madeleines bring us to another place involuntarily (right backatcha, Proust!). They choose us, not the other way around. Elizabeth might rather that I think of her every time I smell a cookie, but it's those fried oat flakes that trigger her kitchen for me!
4) What are your madeleines, and where do they take you?
Forgive the font stylings. I've never tried it before ... and may never again.
9 comments:
What I thought of with shame is how many times I've purchased Proust and how I've yet to make it through three pages --- even in English. Shame! I remember you when I see exceptional handwriting; when I go to Subway (oh the millions of shared lunches); when I hear a particularly smart/witty comment. I spend a lot of time looking ahead and avoiding the past -- so I'm not sure what other touchstones there are for me. I do wish I still had that beige/cream Gap cardigan we both wore. I do still wish we lived so close to each other. Your memories were lovely -- and I just introduced Jason to those veggie burgers two weeks ago, believe it or not! They are welcome back in my kitchen rotation (sorry for the long comment).
I LOVE long comments, especially ones that mention that great sweater. I wish I could still wear it ... I did put it in a bag of keepsake stuff in my garage though.
Oooh--this is such a goody.
I think of you, Erin, when I hear Smokey Robinson's "I Second That Emo-otion." (Or if anyone says, "I second it" or any variation of this phrase). I also think of you when I see Julie Andrews singing "I Have Confidence," partly because I know you played Maria in The Sound of Music, and partly because you ARE Maria (sans clothing that "the poor" didn't want).
When I smell skunks I am transported to my Great-Grandma Maxfield's farm in Lyman, Wyoming. It's never an unpleasant smell for me.
When I hear "Chicago" (especially "Glory of Love") I am taken back to the awkwardness of stake dances. If I was not asked to dance within the first five seconds of a slow song, suddenly I became very intent on looking around and striding purposefully through the darkened gym to meet my friends, as though I had prior engagements galore.
When I smell chalk dust I am at my first day in kindergarten, never having used a pencil sharpener in my life and fighting back tears because all my pencils were "chopped" on the end where the point usually was. What to do?
Most shamefully, the song "On Broadway" reminds me of my first kiss. My partner will remain unnamed, here on the world wide web, but that terrible song was unfortunately playing at the time.
What a great idea for a post! I love it!
Your capitalization is correct. The French don't capitalize each word in titles.
"Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic" has the greatest power to transport me to another time -- 1990, to be exact.
Almost everything good in my life transports my mind and heart to the days when the Hill Family Singers roamed the world, and I lived and sang with the four women in the group (Susan, Erin, Marni, and Courtney Hill). Those were the days!
I am now, and will always be, Erin's admiring father, Fred.
I completely agree with ABBA and Watkins Vanilla Cologne and being a child. When I hear Bryan Adams' "Everything I do" I'm back in the 10th grade at stake dances. The smell of Noxema Cold Cream makes me think of ETC Theater productions and people wiping off make-up after a show.
Bear claws (Mom's homemade pastry)--reminds me of Christmas and time with family. (I also LOVE "Wait, wait don't tell me" on NPR Saturday mornings.) I tried commenting the last time I was on your blog and just kept getting error messages. After three tries I gave up, so I'm glad it likes me today!
AAAHHHHH, French classes:) You have to have been in them to enjoy that! You are so right on with the song/smell memory triggers! You are just more eloquent about it! I just had a whole thought process about it as I was on the treadmill listening to 80s/90s tunes on my ipod:) One of them being DM's "somebody" which I used to think was the most fabulous song in the world!:) Nothing can transport you back like a song or smell!!!! Mostly of our younger, previous child free life years?????:)))) A very different world!
I have so much to think about I can't say anything at all. Wait isn't that a song title?
Post a Comment