Feb 28, 2010

Abraham and Isaac

The Sunday School lesson today is about Abraham and Isaac.

This has always been a tough story for me. I was kind of dreading the teaching of it. My horror at the test is close to the surface. (And I haven't even mentioned the painful heartbreak/jealousy between Sarai and Hagar.)

I found a quotation, however, from Spencer W. Kimball that echoed my heart, and gave me fortitude to press on for meaning - President Kimball describes the command to sacrifice the long-awaited son as "contradictory", at least on its surface. President Kimball, too, found Abraham's test excruciatingly painful.

As I've studied, yes, I see the parallels to the story of Jesus Christ. Of course. The meaning to us is clear, but the reality to them came without knowing Act III. It feels impossible to imagine the moment on that mountain, itself a geographically significant place.

Here's another thought. Elder Hugh B. Brown said, "Abraham needed to learn something about Abraham."

Sometimes I wonder what Isaac learned. Orson Scott Card writes a bit of that story, fictionalized, and identifies some stress and strain that might have accompanied Isaac's realization and rescue. I wish we did not have to only read between the lines.

I like the idea of identifying what I need to learn about myself too.

9 comments:

Anna M said...

I agree that the story is awful to imagine as a parent. Someone reminded me that it is one way for us to glimpse how Heavenly Father feels...Still not easy though.

Tracy Loewer said...

I enjoyed those books on women in the old testament that Card wrote. They really got me thinking.

I don't mind reading about the sacrifice of Isaac, because I think there are a lot of things in this world that don't necessarily make sense but we just have to trust that God knows the end from the beginning. It's an incredible lesson on faith; both Abraham's and Isaac's, who likely could've left that mountain if he was so inclined.

We are sometimes asked to sacrifice very good things, but haven't the foresight to know that it can be for the best. Sometimes we're forced to make sacrifices because of the decisions of others, but knowing that God can turn even the worst circumstances to our advantage is always a tremendous source of comfort for me.

That doesn't mean I don't get stressed, or feel sad or mad, but in the end I know things can still work out for the greater good. Mind you, sometimes I can see it much more clearly than others.

Sara said...

This story is one of my favorites actually and is such an encouragement to me - to see Abraham walk by faith and trust God with the plan - it shows me how much work I have to do to trust God in everything - including when I can't see "the ram" that's in the thicket...

Sara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

Not to change the subject, but where's my Annie Dillard post? How did I remember that? Well, I read your post today, and it reminded me of how very, very much I enjoyed the spiritual discussion in Lit (Mary Karr's new book), and that reminded me of Annie Dillard's take on religion ... and here we are. I have nothing else to add --- it has always read as difficult to me, too.

Faith said...

soren kierkegaard's take on this story is one of the most insightful things i've read about it. but i think you're right-- there isn't much to go off of for isaac's side of the story, which i would love to understand. i've read card's take on it, which was interesting, but didn't really ring true for me. you have to wonder how much isaac understood by the spirit in those moments....

hkobeal said...

Gah! This is one of my least favorite stories. I admire you for tackling it. I prefer to think that maybe Abraham failed the test. God wanted Abraham to stand up for what he knew was right (read: parents shouldn't kill their kids) and he didn't. My take on it, then, is that we are supposed to think for ourselves and make good decisions. Go with our gut sometimes.

Hoping you don't block me from commenting on your blog now that I've spewed forth blasphemy . . .

J and M said...

Hmmmm. Interesting thoughts from Heather. I would have to have a superbly sure conviction from God prior to contemplating death in any form..........for sure!!!! We're talking angels, trumpets, basically things which could look like a psychotic break on the MMPI.

hkobeal said...

Marni, I don't know you, so I'm not sure what to think of yor "Hmmmm. Interesting . . ." comment.

But yes! People who do this today are imprisoned for life. Think Andrea Yates, right? God told her to drown her kids. O-kay . . . was it god or not?

We always tell our kids that if they think god is telling them to hurt another person, it's not god. And I've given Brent strict instructions that if god ever tells me to kill anyone, he's to have me committed.

So the story, as we usually interpret it, means very little to me. Thus my attempt (however feeble) to reconceptualize it and try to make it work somehow in my mind.