Feb 1, 2010

Regimes

I've started taking care of my skin in a new price range. I did a little research (again, that People magazine Look Like The Celebrities special issue + Real Simple's crack research team findings) and came up with a particular cream smoother in an $18 bottle. I'm also trying to put coconut cream on my feet and tea tree oil on my lips. Tons of Some stuff. More than I used to use. I'm more careful about sunscreen too, and I wear big floppy hats in the pool. I'm still doing hair color the homemade way, and I use salt as my (cheap) bath exfoliant of choice, but the writing is on the wall. Maintenance = $.

"Erin, Erin - why the narcissism?" Oh, I hope that's not the vibe I'm sending off. It's so tricky being single again in this way. My 25 year old heart is excited at the opportunity, but my 37 year old bag o' parts raises one eyebrow while looking around. Just sussing out the scene.

On the one hand, I despise the excessive worship of youth culture. You will never find me turning 29 for the 80th time. Ugh. I love what I've lived. I love what I know. I look forward to living and loving and knowing more. Many of the people I love and admire most in this world, from my mother to Dr. Clark, my favorite English prof, to the elegant Englishwoman who works in the office next to mine, reverberate with life lessons they've gained the living way.

I'm glad to be a Gen Xer. I'm glad I was reared on filmstrips and cassette tapes and generic foodstuff products in plain white boxes with bold black letters. I am so grateful for my 1970s childhood, roller skates, polyester, pigtails and all. I'm also glad to belong to a church that values people of all ages. I think Mormons understand that life experience brings unique wisdom, and from our prophet on down, we try to share, teach and serve at every age.

On the other hand, well, my hands could be a little softer.

A few years ago, I enjoyed Nora Ephron's I Feel Bad About My Neck, a humorous collection of essays about her desperate race to stand still, appearance-wise. It's funny and relatable (check out this review), and not too full of itself. I thought of her book again this week when I googled wrinkle treatment strategies less invasive/repulsive/expensive than Botox. Yep ... lookin'.

Guess what I found?

Scotch tape.

Seriously - eHow.com recommended Scotch tape. Wear it while sleeping, wear it while shopping. (Wear it while weeping?)

5 comments:

J and M said...

Scotch tape, or perhaps the costly packing tape is stronger, could be used as a homemade biore strip of sorts.

I used to use nice quality olive oil with a few drops of peppermint oil as my body lotion. It was great and I smelled so tastey!

(:

Elizabeth said...

My mom actually uses something called FROWNIES -- basically tape on her brows. It's crazy. I'm sure tape is better ... :)

Becca said...

I wish I had a larger budget for "products" . . . but my sisters give me all their cast-offs, so I never feel the need. However, since moving to Dry-daho, I have never used so much lotion in my life.

J and M said...

Becca............good olive oil is relatively inexpensive and the skin will SOAK IT UP there in drydaho.

I recall feeling that the insides of my nose were dying a quick and cracking death when I moved there.

Becca said...

Olive oil? Wha??? Do you smell bad?