Feb 3, 2009

John Updike

It was strange and sad to leave my lit classroom a week ago, after having just taught the much-anthologized story "A&P", and hear on NPR that writing great John Updike had died at age 76. His career was varied and admirable, and he seems to me an example of getting in there and getting the job done.

Here are two remarks from Updike included in some NPR profiles that I found here that resonate:

Writing about "ordinary life," Updike says, is a big problem for fiction writers; everyday lives do not involve heroism or extraordinary crises. But the way in which we are alive is meaningful," Updike says, "and it does have a certain radiance — the beauty of the actual. That's what I keep pushing at."

AND

"Throughout his career, the author never seemed to lose sight of the power of words. In a 2005 "This I Believe" essay he wrote: 'I seem most instinctively to believe in the human value of creative writing, whether in the form of verse or fiction, as a mode of truth-telling, self-expression and homage to the twin miracles of creation and consciousness.'"

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I read Rabbit Run a few years ago, in Peru, and maybe it was the wrong time or place, but I didn't love it. I did enjoy his New Yorker writings, and was sad to see him die, but it didn't strike me as horrifically sad, like David Foster Wallace's suicide did. What a terrible comment, huh? Sorry. (are your plane tickets purchased???)

J and M said...

I like that. It's inspiring in a mindful sort of way.

Anna M said...

I love that. It inspires me to keep writing about the daily things. (I love the EZ combs too!)