1) Last night, Graham was supposed to practice his typing on easytech.com.
I recall taking typing as a senior in high school ... a bit late, yes, but definitely not an elementary school skill in the olden days. "F, f, f, f. J, j, j, j."
Things have changed, and for Graham, typing is especially important since he struggles with handwriting and letter shaping to begin with. When I initially balked at his logging on to easytech.com, thinking it was some kind of game, he said, "Mom, do you want me to do really bad in high school and college? Cause if I can't type, I will do so bad!" His grammar aside, I was like, Yikes! Tone it down a notch, Mister.
Sometimes he gets really frustrated by the shift key, and last night, he quit the typing practice early. It was giving him fits.
I peeked in on his progress and no longer saw Kandy the Kangaroo hopping around the screen.
"Whatcha doing?" I asked him.
"Oh, just reading blogs," he said.
Say what? That's how I pass the time.
Sure enough, Graham was looking at the pictures and posts on a friend's blog, enjoying the photos of the kids he knows.
Can I just say, www.kidstoday.com?
2) During our early dinner/late lunch (meaning a hefty afterschool snack that really counts as a meal), the conversation turned to relationships. No, not mine. Annie's!
"Caleb is my boyfriend," she told me.
Oh no, I thought. Already??? I will note that Caleb is a darling sweetheart of a boy, but still.
Annie continued, "I didn't want him to feel worried about it though, so I laughed and said, 'Of course you're not my boyfriend, Caleb' - ha ha ha ha - and then I crossed the monkey bars."
Graham chimes in, "I thought your boyfriend was Owen."
Owen is a kid from preschool. We haven't seen him for a year. My maternal head was spinning.
"I broke up with Owen," said Annie. "Did you know his name starts with O, Mom?"
Great! The Boyfriend ABC book, coming soon.
3) Sunday was ward conference. I really wanted Graham to be reverent in Primary. I *think* he does okay in his class, but he's been known to wander/talk incessantly/collapse during sharing time.
I made him a deal - if he could be good for sharing time (with the stake visitors watching), I would let him play a VeggieTales game on the computer. On a Sunday. (This is not our usual M.O. but desperate times call for desperate measures.) The terms of the deal were accepted, meaning that I told Graham I would ask Brother Trousdale or Sister Power how Graham did.
Well, I didn't get a chance to follow up with either of those people after church, so I went straight to Graham.
"How did you do today?" I asked him.
"I did a good job, Mom. Now can I play the game?"
"You have earned it," I replied.
"Wait," he said. "How did you know I was telling the truth?"
"Well," I said. "You're usually honest about how you've done. You've told me when you fell out of your chair or kept talking or ran around the room, so I believed you."
(This is true. Graham is pretty honest in his self-assessments.)
Annie, who had been listening in the van during our exchange, added her two cents: "Yes Graham, you were good today! For the first time, I think," she said, pleasantly.
Later I asked Graham what made this Sunday different. He said, "I wanted to play that game, Mom. Also, I decided not to sit by [kid A] because I knew I would want to make him laugh."
Hallelujah!!!! This was pretty amazing ... for him. I was happy that the promise of the Larry-Boy game held strong as a carrot. I was also thrilled that Graham was able to make a choice to avoid a temptation, the temptation to amuse others. Sadly, it's a temptation he succumbs to many times. He loves it when people are laughing at his jokes and antics.
Even later I asked Graham how he was able to decide to sit in a different seat.
"Watching Larry-Boy and the Bad Apple". You have to resist temptation, Mom."
I've never been too impressed with the aesthetics of Veggie Tales. Also, there are some inconsistencies in the concept (they have their own town yet they appear on someone's kitchen counter ????) However, I felt a renewed appreciation for their Sunday Morning Values. Saturday Morning Fun. mission!
9 comments:
Being a parent of this generation will truly require you and the Lord and a village to make it through. You are doing well. Annie is such a sleeper with her side comments.
My goodness, your random tales are so amusing. I still remember (and envy) your mom's requirements to graduate ... play piano, type well, and know all the songs in the LDS hymnal, correct? Graham has an early start. Oliver starts with O! Does Annie want a new boyfriend? Not to brag or anything, but he CAN crawl ... Annie will be blown away by his skills. Also, he had the Oliver doll (that Annie sent him ...). Finally, so glad Graham resisted the temptation to make others laugh. I'm almost 35 and I STILL have to work hard to resist in some meetings. There's a time and a place, a time and a place. My O-name baby is shouting at the grapes I'm feeding him, so I must go ...
Hahaha! I loved this one. My favorites being, "Did you know his name starts with an O?" and "For the first time, I think."
Veggie-Tales as a dangling carrot . . . hm, I see a potentially funny photo-shop op!
E-
From a clinical standpoint, for those with any inclinations to ADHD brains........upping the ante to help motivate behavior is a very very good idea. We think "a kid should be able to do it" without reward/motivation, but not so for these kiddos........(research to be added if needed).
As for Miss A. I love her casual stance. I think if it was Elle, I'd probably pass out or start crying. What is this breaking up business? I can't handle it...........
And Mr. G, can he access all things on the computer (friends blogs, other websites himself). If so, as a clinician I warn you to keep a close eye.
Aren't I a fun one to spoil the mood. UGH.
Annie isn't even 6 yet - my goodness "we broke up"! Hilarious!
Good for Graham to avoid the temptations of life and laughter.
He DID do very well! In fact, almost all of primary was soooo good! And the stake even commented on it-although I am not one that worries much over whether the stake is there or not, kids will be kids and some weeks will be good and others not so good. Although it is still nice when things go smooth. :) Tell Graham I was proud of him! :)
How good of Graham to realize that he needs to make a conscious choice to resist temptation - too often I just succumb - I will remember Graham. Maybe I will bribe myself with a game of scramble on facebook if I don't say anything sarcastic in my mgmt meeting coming up... :)
Annie cracks me up!
A boyfriend ABC book--woo hoo! Way to go Graham. My kids will jump through my good behavior hoops to play www.starfall.com
Post a Comment