Feb 20, 2009

Rearranging

I like this wallpaper-style background better than I'm Torn Argyle.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to upload the darling Minnesota kids photo into photoshop so that I can label it. What on earth are 'Pict Resources', and why don't I have them? Double unfortunately, my tech support guy quit some time ago, and my computer is getting a bit creaky.

Triple unfortunately, this new stylish wallpaper (Hello, Charlotte Perkins Gilman) is a widget eater. Bye bye, friends' blogs list.

I've been at the TCCTA conference in Austin since Thursday. Great stuff. I presented one of my teaching tips at a G.I.F.T.S. (Great Ideas for Teaching Students) session & received warm feedback from listeners. I also spent Thursday at an Emotional Intelligence workshop. Really heart-opening and eye-opening. Then I attended a keynote address about Knowledge in the Age of Miscellaneous, a workshop by Alan Cheuse (the NPR book report guy!) and another session on Digital Natives (the Millenial generation).

Lots and lots to chew on. Lots of synergy between sessions too. This is what a conference should do, I think: energize, inform, challenge, inspire. I am buzzing with ideas. I already have 3 posts in mind.

To ice the cake, Thundercloud Subs had a shop right next to the hotel. Oh how I've missed their egg salad sandwiches! When I taught high school, the teachers would occasionally go to the Bryan Thundercloud subs on a Friday afternoon. The egg salad sandwich was my favorite thing to eat, and it still tastes great.

The hotel was gorgeous, with green sprawling lawns & fountains, and a stunning atrium in the middle. I enjoyed my taste of luxury, though could not fathom why wi-fi wasn't free. The Digital Native speaker said it soon would be. However, I would have enjoyed it yesterday.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Egg salad sandwiches ... maybe we can find one in DC for you to love. Fancy hotels can be great, huh -- there is that missing maid you were asking about earlier ... :)