Anthony T. Kronman, a professor of law at Yale and the author of “Education’s End: Why Our Colleges and Universities Have Given Up on the Meaning of Life,” goes further. Summing up the benefits of exploring what’s called “a life worth living” in a consumable sound bite is not easy, Mr. Kronman said.But “the need for my older view of the humanities is, if anything, more urgent today,” he added, referring to the widespread indictment of greed, irresponsibility and fraud that led to the financial meltdown. In his view this is the time to re-examine “what we care about and what we value,” a problem the humanities “are extremely well-equipped to address.”
Of course, vocational payoffs aren't to be sneezed at. One thing that gives me some comfort is knowing that people will probably always need papers graded. I have a skill that can at least keep me in cucumbers :) The truth is that community colleges usually see growth during recessions.
What are your most important skills? And from where or from who did you learn them?
Me:
*not afraid of hard labor outside if I have a steady supply of water
*can grade papers and teach argument & literature
*can create curriculum (I like thinking about lesson schedules, actually - good teacher training!)
*can clean a house thoroughly (boo hoo - no time to display this skill in my own home!)
*can organize (thanks to parents)
*could teach piano if push came to shove
*like children and music and the two together
Of course there are many, many skills that I wish I had - chainsaw proficiency, cutting hair, speaking another language, engineering/building talents ... the list goes on
4 comments:
I'm not sure I have a ton of useful skills, but I am very (very) willing to work. I always imagine that if I lose my job I will immediately start mowing lawns, or selling books, or ... just going. Thankfully, bikes and community colleges are both doing okay right now ...
My most important skills: being able to survive in an unorganized environment, thanks to Coonland. If I'd grown up in a strictly ordered family, I'd be out of control punctilious (read: anal retentive). I don't think I'd be able to stand myself, had I not been, essentially, forced to deal with chaos daily. I admit, I am writing this to be humorous, but it doesn't mean it's not true!
You are creatively, pragmatically, brilliant. I don't always leave a note when I read your blog but your analytical thinking is delicious to read. I love the kind of loving, involved parent you are---amazing!! I would love to see you on a political talk show or perhaps run for office when your kids are older. You have such amazing full-spectrum depth for someone so young---truly gives me hope! Sincerely, Co
I'm so glad that recessions always lead to a higher demand for poets and dramaturgs. Oh, wait! There's never a demand for those professions. Damn the humanities!
Post a Comment