Feb 12, 2009

Aliens

During last week's scenic drive down I-35, we listened to, among other things, one of our favorite CDs by Texas children's performer Joe McDermott. (He performed during a summer library program several years ago, and we've loved him ever since! He has that great Austin vibe, with one part Lyle Lovett hair, one part western-style shirt, and two parts cool guitar playing, all wrapped up in kid-friendly lyrics.) One of our favorite tracks on the CD is "Flying Saucer", in which a boy out taking his dog for a night walk meets an alien girl in an ice cream delivery saucer.

Annie asked, "Do you think there are real aliens, Mom?"
Um, uh, well ...
Graham answered quickly with, "Oh, I know there are aliens, Annie. They are real."

"Mom, do you think there are aliens?" she asked again, not completely convinced by Graham's answer.
"Well," I said, "I really don't know. Scientists have discovered evidence of water on Mars ..." (insert snoring sound from back seat as children tune out ...)

"Annie," interjected Graham, "Parker told me there are aliens, and he is reading orange-dot AR books, so he knows!"

Case closed. Thank you, fellow student Parker, for your vast knowledge of our universe and its mysteries.

3 comments:

Becca said...

Orange dot?! Whoa.

Elizabeth said...

Once they are that smart, they know EVERYTHING.

Susan said...

What do you think? Are there aliens....