Feb 25, 2009

Standing in elementary school

As the mother of a fidgeter, I welcome the idea (reported in this New York Times article) of a classroom where children can sit or stand or move or whatever. When Graham and I (try) to do math homework, for example, he has to move around, put his legs up, crouch on the chair, and more. Yes, it's kind of tiring for me, and I'm not the one moving. Still, asking him to focus on sitting still siphons off valuable processing energy/focus/speed. It's like he can't focus on both at the same time. (Well yeah, it's called ADHD.) Graham and I start our math homework sessions with a prayer now. It helps. It calms me. I hope it helps us to receive divine assistance during this stressful activity!

Although other children may not have ADHD, they're still kids, and I for one am excited by the direction elementary school furniture and classroom design is headed. I've done enough reading about outdated educational models and U.S. scores to know that we need innovation in our classrooms (without sacrificing what already works and not in pursuit of latest-craze fads).

The teacher, Ms. Brown, purchased special adjustable height desks & seats with grant money:
Ms. Brown says she got the idea for the stand-up desks after 20 years of teaching in which she watched children struggle to contain themselves at small hard desks, and after reading some of Dr. Levine’s work.
“As an option,” she said, “it gives students choices, and they feel empowered. It’s not anything to force on anybody. Teachers have to do what fits their comfort level. But this makes sense to me.”

10 comments:

Susan said...

I actually like best to balance checks etc standing at my file cabinet... wooden. And we've used T chairs here too. Has G ever used those. The prayer is a big piece for sure.

Jason said...

I actually sit on a ball at my office -- I am comforted by the constant bouncing. Sadly, after four years of me doing this, my colleagues just confessed that it always sounds as if I am ... passing gas ... when I bounce. Good to know. Sorry for the off topic comment --- I'm really glad they are doing innovative things that might help your kids, as well as future unknown kids ... :)

Jason said...

Sorry -- my husband was logged in. It's me, Elizabeth.

Courtney said...

We were discussing this at ECFE (Early Childhood Family Education) - in our parent class - and I think it's a great option. Some other classes have kids on balls so they are moving but working.

I think kids shouldn't have to sit that long (at least breaking up the day) and it's a great idea - if only more teachers understood that children are energetic!

Laura said...

I'm a fidgeter myself, so I think this is a great option. I think they should also do this for the workplace. :)

J and M said...

SO SMART. I never sat at a table to study for my licensure exam, nor to write dissertation unless I was actually forced to be on the computer. I liked to read texts sitting on the floor, legs stretching, or on my stomach/back. I studied for licensure exam sitting sideways while the books were on the couch...........I always move every few minutes!

This is SMART! How to encourage it?

Becca said...

Ooh--goody!

I love your caveat "without sacrificing what already works and not in pursuit of latest-craze fads." Amen, Sista!

I really hope that national education policies can transform into case-by-case, class-by-class, teacher-by-teacher education policies. It doesn't make sense to me to have a strict standard for all public schools--we are a huge country with tons of diversity from state to state and city to city. Let the teachers do what works!!!!

Leila said...

Amen, Becca - what were "small government" dorks thinking with no child left behind huge national program?

Anyway, the desk issue reminded me of Brian. His second grade teacher let him be/stand/move anywhere as long as a part of his body was touching his chair. A saint. He would have driven me batty. His third grade teacher just sent him out in the hall or made him face his desk away from the rest of the class. How sad.

Even Emily who is not ADHD has major problems sitting down to do homework. She kinda half perches on the chair and half stands. She does the same move during dinner too. I think her teacher is cool with that as long as work is being done. Those chairs look just right for her.

Melea said...

I would pace up and down the hall or back and forth across my bedroom while trying to memorize things. My roommate in college later confessed to me how much it bugged her when I did this! But for whatever reason, it was easier for me to memorize when I was pacing at the same time.

robyncreates said...

What a great idea! How could we incorporate that into sharing times as well? :)