Feb 27, 2009

Valentine's Day


Ah, Valentine's Day.
No, I won't bother with my least favorite aspects of Valentine's Day 2009.
Above: Annie used her fuzzy handcuffs to lock up a neighbor friend.

Favorite aspects? Yes, let's go there!

1) Attending the Valentine's for Vets program at Graham's school. I couldn't stop crying, actually, at the afternoon performance; I was deeply touched by the World War II and Korean War and Vietnam War vets, seated at the front of the cafe-torium in dress uniforms. Some stood and waved when the anthem for their particular branch of the armed forces was played. Also, there were active-duty soldiers on the stage, and of course, the kids sang patriotic songs. Even the cafeteria worker I happened to be standing next to was singing (and she sounded great!). The children gave another performance that evening for parents. Graham's teacher even performed a baton twirling routine. Let's just say that Annie's eyes were really big. When it was over, she told me, "I want her to be my second grade teacher!" (See the video below ... the boy on stage is Graham. The dancing doesn't show up until halfway through the song, but keep watching.)

2) Surprising the kids with some Valentine's Day sussies. Graham and Annie received many, many fun treats!

Gammy sent DQ gift cards, red shirts for each child (Oh, Annie loves the Hannah Montana rock star shirt w/belt), a snazzy heart wreath that we put on the front door, Ferraro Rocher chocolates (Mommy says yum!), popcorn, and a can of cashews for each kid. Wow!

MawMaw sent each kiddo a beautiful card with a special poem and a crisp $5 dollar bill. They had fun going to the toy aisle to choose something special!

Meme & Pawpaw gave fun Madlibs books (all the Littlefields love Madlibs, including my children!) and fun Travel Bingo games. Plus they attended the school Valentine's Day parties and the Valentine's for Vets program. So much fun to have special guests at school!

Grandma & Grandpa sent special markers and stickers for both kids, and great Donna Eden energy cards for me (to use with them too). And our special cousins - Ellie, Miles & Elin - sent handwritten valentines.

I gave Annie a Groovy Girl doll (so sweet, cute, squeezable) and Graham some Larryboy DVDs (his heart's desire), plus jump ropes for both! We invited Billy & Katharina over too for a mini-party. Matt & Jen even brought me a slice of cheesecake as thanks. Thank you!

5 comments:

Leila said...

Aleah loved the baton act. She says she is going to practice.

Elizabeth said...

Oh what a wonderful Valentine's Day. Julie and Brian brought Lillian over and we spent the day gazing at babies ... best Valentine's EVER!

Susan said...

What a great second grade teacher. My vote too!

Becca said...

There is so much to say on this one . . .

1- what are sussies?
2- my favorite kind of dollar bills have little to do with the denomination, and more to do with the "crispness" (okay, unless we start getting into the Ben Franklin variety--but still, I prefer a crisp Franklin: hint to my fans)
3- I clicked on your Donna Eden link. She looks very genuinely happy . . . but forgive me if I was reminded of Helen Madden, licensed joyologist. (Keehee)
4- I love the idea of Valentines for Vets. Why have I never heard of this? Here is SS, they do a wonderful Veteran's Day program at the high school--I went to see Truman singing with his class and it was PACKED. Everyone in the community came . . . Truman has been singing "Thank you, Military" steadily since November.

Sara said...

No one has commented on the fuzzy handcuffs????????