I first heard about this Bryan girl, Erin Buenger, and her battle against cancer a couple of years ago through a book club friend who had traveled with Erin's family to lobby in D.C. for cancer research.It was both heartbreaking to read about her death and heartwarming to learn about all that she was and all that she accomplished in today's local newspaper.
The loss of a child. There are no words.
But what a beautiful person.
5 comments:
I ran into a friend from massage therapy school I hadn't seen in 7 years and was told that they lost their first daughter (who would have been 6) to cancer.
I felt empty and unprepared to respond to such, and was amazed by her strength and mothering of a 19 month old. I cannot imagine such pain.
Truly unimaginable and ... horrific.
Oh, you are right about the heartbreaking and heartwarming. But so sad . . .
You have such a gift for empathy, Erin.
she is an amazing example of true resilience.
Whenever I hear the name Buenger I don't have the best thoughts because he is the chair of the History Department. He is the one that is getting rid of Chris' TA position. He just made the rule that you can only have a TA position for 6 years whether you are here for both a MA and a PhD or not. So now Chris has to come up with another job to try to keep our same amount of income. Apparently, the quality of grad students the History department has right now isn't good enough for them so they are making all these crazy rules to get as many students out as possible so they can bring in "better" quality of students. They are using that TA money to fly potential students down and putting them up in the Hilton for a couple days and paying for all their meals, trying to schmooze them over. Chris had to go to breakfast with a set of twins that came in and Chris didn't have the best things to say about the department.
Though all that being said, it would be terribly hard to loose a child and it sounded like she was so strong in pushing the things we believed in.
Post a Comment