
I so enjoyed conference on my own couch in my own home with the kids coloring and listening nearby, the two of them tuning in when I prompted them to listen. (Our attempts to make a King Benjamin-style tent a la Anna didn't quite pan out. We were missing 3 stakes and the tent was too big for the living room. Maybe next time.)
Last week's General YW broadcast was also inspirational and occasionally humorous. The young women in our building laughed when President Monson talked about Facebook. (Will you friend me?!?) Of course, the first thing my kids mention when they see President Monson is his diabetes.
I also loved, loved, loved the photo montage with the closing song on Sunday afternoon. President Monson is an inspiration.
One of my favorite brain-stew concepts to stir around when I have a free thought is the differences/similarities between my/our church sub-culture and the culture at large. Of course many obvious differences spring to mind, but one of the more subtle differences is the accepted role of older adults. I'm grateful that our sub-culture respects the contributions of people throughout their adult lives. The culture at large is more youth-oriented (yeah, not too original to notice that), and I'm as guilty of that as the next person, having recently become paranoid about my gray hair, wrinkles, aching knees and stiff back.
But look, there go our apostles, pressing forward, traveling the world, Elder Bednar looking like a teenager. When we think of all the places they've visited, sermons they've taught and people they've touched, we find a true model of enduring the end.
2 comments:
It's so lovely to read about your inspiration from and love of your faith. Truly, you've found a home in the world.
I don't think I knew President Monson had diabetes till I read about it on your blog.
You were inspired to share the Easter message from Elder Holland--it's already been made into a "Mormon Messages" youtube video.
Conference: I loved it. I feel like I'm not true to all the things taught when I am sad when it's over. Sad but motivated and uplifted and determined to do better and be better.
Post a Comment