This week, she reminded me of her jog. "Mom, can I tell you something? When I was running a lap last week I felt like a little woman. I thought I was a grown up running like grown ups do. I saw a real lady and I thought she saw me as a real grown up woman. I forgot I was just me."
My darling Annie, the same child who asked shortly after her 5th birthday if the wedge heel in her flip flops made her "look seven." Oh sweet child, slow down just a bit!
One of my favorite times of the day comes at bedtime. Usually I lay with Annie and she rests her head on my arm. My arm is her security blanket. I like to talk with Graham too. Often they are listening to an audio book to "help" them fall asleep. Annie snuggles, Graham pontificates, and all is right in the world. They still feel like children.
Over Easter weekend when my mom visited, Annie got the privilege of sleeping next to Grandma. Sure enough, once Annie's head was snuggled into Grandma's arm, she fell right asleep. It's good to have my little girl be little.
5 comments:
That makes me shameful because I keep wishing that my 8 Month old would get older. I am sick of having a baby that just cries and yet you are telling little Annie to slow down. I wish I could get my love for babies back but I think that only comes when I hold a baby that is not mine so I can give them back when I am done with them.
Sweet sweet Annie indeed! Does this wedge make me look 7 - what a darling girl! I so wish we could have all been together last weekend -- looking forward to a Hill Ladies adventure soon!
Graham pontificating just made me smile!
Once and a while I am talking to Emily and I catch a glimpse of something she does that is like Annie's epiphany. I can't believe how fast time is pushing past.
I like Brian's description of time "pushing us", because I catch myself thinking the same things you expressed here, about my children. Sometimes it feels like my heart stops for a moment when I think of my kids getting older. I know it is against The Plan . . . but it doesn't stop me from wishing I could freeze my children and keep them in a state of innocence--maybe just for twenty years??? THEN they could grow up.
Sleeping by that beautiful child was a favorite moment in Texas. In Denton I got to sleep on cushions by Ellie.These are cherished times.
Post a Comment