Dec 3, 2009

Dated

     You know me ... cheesy "fake" senior-style portraits make me laugh. And I love to laugh. (My hair is the joke in this picture.) Courtney was willing to play along. She said, "Erin, let me get  a picture of you," and I promptly snapped into posed position. I also like the 'sweep your hair and look backward' pose (see below, and please admire the way I softened the edges.) It's all about getting that right balance of 'I am a somewhat non-horrible looking person' and 'I grew up in the 80s and can therefore poke fun at myself.' If I had any kind of photography talent, I would enjoy creating a Cindy Sherman-esque portfolio entitled Senior Portraits. Obviously, I would need a great deal of wicker and pastel light gels. I would also need to make sure my face was shiny.

     When I was serving as stake YW secretary, I attended a few of the youth dances as a stake leader. At one dance, a nice-looking young man, a bit awkward, came up and asked me to dance. Another kid hissed at him, "She's a leader, dude," and the boy slunk away. Oh, the shame for him. He worked up some kind of courage, and then realized that he had horribly misjudged his options. Probably looked at me and thought, 'She can't be too choosy, I'll ask her." 
     In that moment of his slinking and me trying to stuff my smile, I remembered everything I hated about church dances the first time around. It is so hard to be a teenager ! Let's be honest here: we both loved and feared church youth activities. On the one hand, it was fun to meet new sparkly people and experience that thrill of finding a potential pen pal. (In my youth, we wrote letters to each other on homemade cards enveloped in Benetton ads we ripped out of magazines, and had to wait days or weeks for responses. So, so much easier to just friend on FB, these lucky kids today.) On the other hand, it was uniquely painful to be approached by a dead battery-type person (no spark!) and know that I needed to be nice and make awkward conversation while standing uncomfortably close to this stranger for the length of a song.
     Even now, when I hear the song "Somebody" by Depeche Mode, I instinctively put my arms into Mormon dance position. Can't tell you how many times I've made small talk with a dance partner to that song. (And it's a gorgeous song ... my roomies and I listened to it over and over on the boom box in our dark, candlelit dorm living room, but it's about the kind of connection everybody wants to find, and I often found it disconcerting to listen to the lyrics while dancing with a guy who wasn't my 'somebody.' Um, no, I do NOT want to share my "innermost thoughts" with you. It was even worse to stand next to someone who didn't want to share his innermost thoughts with me! Ack - he thinks I'm a dead battery.)
     As I move forward into the next stage of my life, it appears likely that I'll be moving simultaneously backward, backward into the world of church dances. Come New Year's Eve, I'm going to be standing in a church cultural hall making small talk with strangers standing uncomfortably close. This thought terrifies me, yes, but I cannot avoid my fate. Look what happened to Oedipus. Delaying destiny does not effectively avert disaster.
     Of course, it might be easier to walk through the gym doors and fill in one of those My Name Is ... tags (Erin with a big heart for the i dot, right?) IF I were bolstered by tales of  dance fright tales from my blog friends. I can pretend that you're standing by me, clique-style, or accompanying me to the ladies room to reapply carmex. Any shame moments you're willing to share? Any "N. Dynamite" dance moves I should make a point to demonstrate? It's a given that I'll request the song "Jump" by Van Halen. Any other favorites from your youth dance years? Help me help myself to step away from the wall and into my future.




7 comments:

Sara said...

cheesy or not, you look absolutely beautiful in these photos. step in boldly! you'll be great.

Courtney said...

Brilliant - and I like both pictures, "class ring", "levis" and all!

Be sure to request "Everything I do, I do for you" and "In Your Eyes" at those cultural hall dances! :) Might be magical (even if 20-25 years old) - everyone could use a little Lloyd Dobler holding a giant "boom box" outside their window.

Tracy Loewer said...

I have a YSA dance story for you...sort of. You know how they always stop the dances for little activities? Well, they were having a fun little limbo contest. I'm not the most flexible person, but I'm flexible enough to have been one of the last ones limbo-ing, so everyone was able to see when I caught my double-Ds on the stupid limbo stick. Everybody grinned at me for the rest of the night. Oh, the humiliation! I haven't limbo-ed since. :)

hkobeal said...

I have no YSA dance stories. But I have to say that as an adult, the lyrics to this song are just outrageous. The singer has got to be one of the most selfish, egotistical people--an entire song centered around a list of demands about what HE wants. Hilarious!

Becca said...

Tracy, thank you for sharing! I feel sympathetic and giggly all at once--very vivid description.

Best part of stake dances: my mom told all my friends to each bring a dollar when she took us to the dance in our Ford Club Wagon (a huge, 10-passenger van). When she came back to the stake center to pick us up, she had pizza. I loved being in the party van! I hope I can do something similar for my kids. If only there were a pizza place in my town . . .

Worst part: when a slow song starts, and you're nowhere near the protection of your friends (or worse, they've all be quickly snatched by the good-looking pre-missionaries), so you invent something "important" to do. I always craned my neck over the dancing crowd, as if I had spurned several advances because I was meant to meet someone on the other side of the darkened gym and was earnestly looking for him/her.

Bleh. I do not envy your current time-travel-esque situation.

robyncreates said...

WOW! Lots of memories. I loved that song too!!! Still have it on a cassette I think...somewhere...in some box...I remember my dad picking me and some friends up after a school dance and taking us to the DQ (where everyone went after the dance in JR High in ID) and as we were in the parking lot (with half the kids) my dad backed into the drive through sign/speaker. Oh the humiliation. I just got down on the floor in the van and didn't show my head again until we were gone. My friends that were there with me just laughed.

Another yech thing I remember about some dances...dancing with guys shorter than me (and I'm not tall, but there were some still shorter) and feeling like their face was in my chest. Lovely for a young, uncomfortable already, girl to go through a dance like that. I felt so uncomfortable...so dance with guys taller than you...or at least taller than your chest. haha

Leila said...

What was that boy thinking!?! I really like Kyle but he is missing out on some 80's goodness! You are so going to be the newest star of the dances - I just hope there aren't too many "Dougs". :)
One of my most uncomfortable series of dances was when a really nice but almost non-english-speaking-and-shorter-than-me-Cambodian guy decided he liked me. It's hard enough to make conversation with someone you aren't in "like" with but even worse when he doesn't speak english.