Dec 10, 2009

Making "excellence predictable"



A great piece about Spoon from a list of the top 10 bands of the 2000s ... they're #3


Mr. Kyle Sparks, author of the brief review, writes:
That deceptively cookie-cutter persona is predicated on the fact that Spoon emotes a different kind of reflection. They don’t treat their music as catharsis, but rather as a document of their cathartic behavior. On one of the decade’s most perfect songs, Girls Can Tell’s “Anything You Want,” lead singer Britt Daniel whimpers, “If there’s anything you want, come on back ’cause it’s all still here / I’ll be in the back room drinking my half of the beer.” What follows is the kind of resolution/retreat that is ostensibly happening in Daniel’s back room, bouncing from optimism to fatalism with inebriated indecision.

And while the deep subject matter might seem compromising to their airy pop, it actually gets right to the heart of Spoon’s definitive tone of masculinized romanticism. Their minimalism allows them to be one degree removed from everything, an isolated third party that can objectively weigh in on its own affairs. Daniel and Co. are merely vessels for romanticism, not attached directly enough to be considered emo, but close enough to the action to be able to dictate it accurately.



p.s. Last May, I had to drive to Brenham to attend spring graduation. I listened to "Anything You Want" all the way there and all the way back. It's 50 miles away. That's a lotta plays. Weird, yes, but it's a great song. I was trying to memorize it, and now I do have it memorized. It's a great starting place for the novice Spoon fan.

p.p.s. I wish I was attending the Spoon show in La Jolla, California this weekend. With a name like "Holiday Hootenanny," I expect nothing less than total fun.

No comments: