I like Glee in spite of/because all its teen soapiness. I like the choreography and the multi-layered pop harmonies. I like the bright high notes and (in moderation) the breathy vocal expression. I like the show's sincerity and the peter pan blouses Miss Emma wears. It's a great source for interesting (non-vocal) TONE analysis. The underlying message of this show (or its "tone"/attitude toward the subject matter) seems to be that life is hard, but group singing makes it tolerable. I like the vocal depth and the eye-to-eye connections made between characters too. They really can sing. Jane Lynch's Sue Sylvester is that dash of tart that keeps the whole thing from being too cloying.
While in Minnesota for Thanksgiving, we kept singing "Defying Gravity," a Wicked song featured on a recent Glee episode. Even Elin got into the action with tune continuation. This week brings (really last week's episode) something even better (?). This combination: a favorite 80s song (Cyndi Lauper's "True Colors") + simple staging (primary color tees, stools and a few lights) + a slightly different vocal flavor with Tina on lead = a clip I want to share. It is "hard to take courage in a world full of people" and "you can lose sight of it all" but this song is the antidote. Yes, I bought it on iTunes late last night.
True words: "If this world makes you crazy and you've taken all you can there, you call me up because you know I'll be there." Also, you could just send me a message. I might get it sooner.
Link to the "True Colors" clip I found on a random blog
1 comment:
I love Glee! You can buy two CDs with all the Glee tracks. I tried to do it last night, but then my coupon code wouldn't work, so I gave up.
I watched the most recent episode this morning while I stairmastered. Made the 42 minutes seem almost bearable.
Post a Comment