Dec 8, 2009

Knock out

Annie's loose tooth has been lingering for months. I may be imagining this but I think it was starting to loosen back in September. We've tugged and pulled without success. I offered to tie it to a doorknob (hoping all the while that she wouldn't accept that form of help), but Annie preferred to wiggle, wiggle, wiggle. Still, nothing. I looked in her mouth on Sunday morning and was horrified to see her adult tooth halfway grown. It looked like a broken picket 3 millimeters behind the loose baby tooth. "That tooth needs to come out today," I said.

Fast forward to Sunday evening. Annie and Graham were playing their usual Sunday Night Crazy Game wherein they get totally worked up and have enormous difficulty settling back down in time for bedtime, and I was reading something. SNCG is amusing, yes, but worrisome too, so I kept an eye on the frenzy level.

"Ow, Graham punched me," Annie squealed.
"It was just for fun," Graham said, "But I think I just felt her tooth fall out."
"What?" she squealed again. "My tooth is out?"
Sure enough, a thorough tongue check revealed a bloody hole. Where could that tooth be? Graham got down on his hands and knees to find the tooth. It was under the couch resting creepily next to a toy mouse the kitten chases.

Annie was thrilled with the blood and the hole and the tooth. She wrapped up the tooth in scotch tape then carefully cut away the scotch tape a few moments later. She decided to put the tooth in a ziploc bag for safekeeping under the pillow and then spent several minutes arranging and rearranging its placement. Then she decided she had to do a "silly picture" (our family-favorite Mac app) with her missing tooth. Graham and  Knight joined the picture, and we all agreed that our cat looks like a feline freak in this image!

"Do I write a note to the tooth fairy?" she asked hopefully.

"Usually the tooth fairy just senses the tooth's whereabouts," I told her.

Later that night, I checked my purse, glad that I had withdrawn some cash on Friday, and realized that I only had $5s and $10s. Usually our tooth fairy leaves $1. Would a higher amount set a pricey precedent?  A little note explaining that a child's First Tooth is worth more and that subsequent teeth would fetch $1 each neatly solved that problem.

"Is that your handwriting?" asked Graham in the morning as he pored over the note like some kind of professional handwriting specialist.

"Who wants ice cream on his oatmeal?" I sang out and he dashed to the kitchen.


7 comments:

Becca said...

"Is that your handwriting?" Ha! Those firstborns don't miss a trick.

Ice cream on the oatmeal! That's how I can get brig to eat it!

Courtney said...

elin (writing and typing says) "it's cool that you have a loose tooth."

Becca said...

PS- I just saw your Christmas traditions sidebar. I think it's such a great idea!

But is my Mollie going to want to watch American Girl movies or own American Girl dolls? Because I don't know if I. can. handle. it . . .

Susan said...

Love the pix and the toothsome story.

J and M said...

Love it!!

As for SNCG...............I have realized that we have to blow some steam post church (and most nights) for the sensory integration crew to settle down. It's a fine balance of steam blowing and reorganization.

Jumping off of couches onto pillows (heavy heavy jumping) helps and tires them out. Then we do rolling like a ball or brushing, etc. something to organize and de-escalate the CRAZIESSSSSSSSSSSSs..

Elizabeth said...

YEAH big brother helping to end the tooth saga ... or at least to get it started. $5 indeed! (and I would know your lovely handwriting ANYWHERE)

Tracy said...

I vividly remember finding out my mom was the tooth fairy. She forgot, and accidentally slipped a 20 under my pillow early in the morning when I was semi-conscious. I had to give it back :) It took a couple of minutes to realize the folks were also Santa and the Easter Bunny...I think I was 13.

At least I know where my kids get their gullibility from. I just devastated Matthew with the news last month (he's 12 1/2). He slunked to the kitchen floor and said "The magic is gone." A little melodramatic if you ask me, but he was pretty upset.