Dec 2, 2009

Smiles ... with all new tidbits


     Here are the chillens' 2009-2010 school pictures. For some reason, the photos make me laugh. Graham said they made him open his mouth during the smile. I'm not sure why Annie is sporting such an adorable grimace. I'm also not sure why she looks like they pulled her away from surfing. What a blondie!

     Two days ago, I received a message from an old college friend complimenting me on being an "energetic mom". That's what comes from posting trampoline pictures on Facebook, I guess. Still, that's what I'm going for. Energy! Our children's childhood years are a gift to us, the parents. They will recall only some of it, but we will hold on to these delightful memories for the rest of our lives (or minds). Being mindful of the love gives me energy.
     So ... both my kids amused me yesterday. I like keeping track so that I can recall the pleasant times during particularly trying moments. 


     Graham had to wait in the rain for just a minute or two after tithing settlement last night while the Bishop told me a funny story. Graham, impatient, cold and damp, blurted out,        
     "Hurry, Mom. I don't want to get athlete's foot out here."
     I burst out laughing.
     "It's not funny. Wet and socks don't mix!"


     At bedtime, I brushed my teeth, flossed my teeth and used mouthwash. My smile was shiny, but perhaps too shiny. When I leaned in to kiss Annie, she pulled away: "Mom, your breath is too fresh!"


     I picked up the kids from school today, and, as usual, they had lots of funny insights as we headed home. Graham noted how pleased he is to be the Santa Claus for his school play. His music teacher extended the invite to him last week and presented it as a special privilege/reward for his hard work learning the song choreography. She also made him keep it a secret until the big reveal on Monday. Since she announced that Graham would be playing the part of Kris Kringle, he's been receiving lots of positive attention. As we walked from the school to the van, he said, "I'm a pretty lucky kid. Today when somebody bumped my hand really hard, they said, 'Oh, sorry about that Santa!'" 
     "What would they usually say?" I asked.
    Without missing a beat, he answered, "Why don't you try moving your big hand out of the way, Graham." (Don't sugarcoat it, kids.)
    It is nice to be the man in the red suit.



     After both kids had buckled themselves in, Graham dropped a bombshell: "Mom, I am about to tell you something that you will not believe. You are going to think that I'm making this up but I'm not. I am telling you the truth of the day. Today, "Marie" pooped in our classroom."
     Wow - how does one respond to that school tidbit? "Gross. Why?" I asked.
     "Nobody knows."
      "Do you know she did it?" questioned Annie. The idea of an elementary school student doing this is hard to understand, especially for my Miss Conscientious.
     "I saw a spot," Graham responded. "The spot was there. It was ---"
     "No details necessary," I interrupted.
      "Mr. Thomas cleaned it up, Annie. He cleaned it all up but the spot. I saw the spot but I don't know why she did it. I don't want to know."
     Annie was speechless
    {"I didn't know this about third graders," she later said, as though some foundational belief she'd previously held about 'older' kids had been permanently cracked.}
    Then: "I do not want to be a cleaner when I grow up!"

9 comments:

Courtney said...

You're so wise to write down these funnisms - maybe Graham will cure athete's foot when he grows up because Annie sure wouldn't want him to be a cleaner.

Elizabeth said...

It is shocking --- I agree with Annie --- and so wonderful that you are around to record it --- I definitely agree with Courtney.

Laura said...

Yep, Courtney & Elizabeth are right - I am so glad you write these things down...and that you share! That Santa thing with Graham's big hand is hilarious!!!

J and M said...

Hahahahhahha. Sorry for the non-santa moments.

As for the kid and the poop. Some kids have something called megabowel (sounds good doesn't it). This just means (DON't read further folks if you don't want details) that some kids hold it in, their colon swells, they can' go and then some leaks out around it. It's quite embarrassing for them actually. I had a client with this. Cut the girl some slack. If it's on purpose then watch out for an angry hurting kid, but it's just more fun to talk about megabowel.

Erin said...

I definitely feel sorry for this girl! It will not be forgotten. I still remember how Benji Roach threw up in our first grade classroom. Decades later & I haven't forgotten.

Sara said...

I am laughing so hard that I will have to re-apply make up after I finish typing this comment. Oh my! They are hilarious! The athlete's foot, poor Annie's expectations of "big kids" being totally shot down, the "big hand". They are great kids. You are lucky, and they are lucky to have you. Keep recording these for posterity, and for my laugh of the day. Thanks!

Becca said...

Oh my. Poor "Marie."

I wish I was accused of having breath that was too fresh.

robyncreates said...

Okay-I almost feel bad for laughing so hard and not able to stop. It is just they way they perceive things-as if that is what third grade is like and everything else they said. Poor girl-on another note. I would be mortified if I were her. (My mom threw up on the organ while playing in sac mtg and kept playing once-is that as bad?) Anyway-thanks for sharing! We miss seeing you guys more. :)

Debs said...

Thank you Erin for sharing. I laughed so hard for so long. This totally made my day! I always look forward to reading your posts. When I've had a long day, I'll scroll to one of the posts with something Graham has said. I start laughing so hard that I forget my stress from the day. I'm so glad you have such a great kid!!! :)